Sucher Journal Transcription Notes


This Web page provides both a scanned version and a line-by-line, word-by-word, letter-by-letter transcription of each page of the journal kept by Richard Sucher on his trip to and from England in the summer of 1934.  University of Northern Iowa Special Collections staff attempted to render Richard Sucher's handwriting as literally as possible into a print format.  We used his spelling, grammar, and punctuation without emendation.  We broke lines of text where he broke lines of text. 

Richard Sucher's handwriting is consistently clear and legible.  In transcribing the journal, we encountered only a couple of readings about which we had even the slightest doubts.  None of these doubtful points affected meaning or narrative flow.  

Provenance of the Journal

This journal belongs to Richard Sucher, II, a son of Richard Sucher, the author of this journal.  Richard Sucher, II, generously loaned the journal to Rod Library Special Collections in August 2014 so that it could be scanned and transcribed.

Physical Description of the Journal

The journal is about 6 3/4 inches tall and 4 1/4 inches wide.  It is bound in glossy brown cardboard and sewn at the top, so that it flips up in order to open.  There are fifty-six leaves, making 112 pages, sewn into the top of that binding.  Each page has twenty-four blue printed lines.  Richard Sucher took his notes on the first thirty-six leaves.  There are then nineteen unused blank leaves.  There are notes on the last leaf.  Rather than cursive handwriting, he used print.  The journal was probably inexpensive, perhaps purchased at a bookstore, and intended to be carried conveniently in its owner's pocket.  

Physical Condition of the Journal

Given its age and utilitarian nature, the journal is in good, usable condition.  Edges are scuffed a bit and the cardboard binding shows some slight stains.  But the binding is sound and almost all of the journal entries are quite clear. 

Content of the Journal

Richard Sucher made entries in his journal from the day that he left Cedar Falls, June 1, 1934, until he arrived back in Cedar Falls, August 4, 1934.  It was his practice to write about events on the day on which they occurred, though occasionally he fell a day behind before he caught up.  Occasionally he made several entries on the same day.  Many entries stretch onto several pages; sometimes, when things were quiet, his entries were considerably shorter.  For the first several weeks of the trip, Richard Sucher wrote in pen.  Thereafter, he wrote in pencil.  As he began to spend more time traveling around the country on his bicycle, it was probably simpler to use a pencil than to try to keep a fountain pen functioning.  He traveled through rain and often slept in haystacks.  Given the conditions under which he wrote his entries, it is remarkable that nearly all entries are still quite clear and legible.

Intent of the Journal

Richard Sucher used his journal for obvious utilitarian reasons.  He was traveling fast and seeing new things almost every day.  He met new people who told him stories and recounted experiences that were very different from his.  He could never remember all of these things.  So he used the journal as way of preserving memory.  He also used the journal as a way of keeping track of his scant finances and of the distances that he traveled each day.  These were critical matters as he tried to see as many sites as possible within the bounds of the time and money that he had at his disposal.

But he used the journal in other ways, too.  When he saw an extraordinary historical site or met a new friend, he recorded his impressions of what he had seen or whom he had met.  He recorded his awe, excitement, and occasional disappointment after viewing a beautiful cathedral or talking with new, sophisticated acquaintances.  Because he made much of his journey unaccompanied, he had no one else to talk with about his personal impressions and feelings.  Consequently, the journal was his close friend.  He could write about how inadequate he felt in the presence of experienced, wealthy young people for whom world travel was quite ordinary.  He could write about his anticipation of reaching Liverpool, where he would board a ship to return to the United States.  He could write about the loneliness that he felt when he parted with his friends at Le Havre.  He could even write with occasional disapproval about his friends' behavior.

After he returned home, Richard Sucher was probably more inclined to use the factual portions of his journal.  That is, he used it to recall what he had seen in Stratford-upon-Avon or to remember how many pieces of glass were in a particular stained glass window.  Or perhaps he found it interesting to remember exactly how many miles he had ridden in one week.  But it is likely that today's reader will find his personal impressions more interesting.  They might be more interested in how he reacted to what he saw and into what context he put his experiences.  They might also be interested in seeing how the tone of his reflections changed over the course of his trip.  Sheer physical accomplishments aside, the journal provides a fascinating look at the mind and personality of a young Iowa State Teachers College graduate from the mid-1930s, who was making the journey of a lifetime.

For an extended look at the journal with many images and to put a broader focus on Richard Sucher, his family, and his life, readers may wish to read this essay.

June 1-2, 1934

Handwritten note 1


Cedar Falls, Iowa
(Fri) 6/1/34
(Sat.) 6/2/34

Trip to New York including
Bob Getchell
Larry Gordon
Elliott Hutton
Quentin Kongsback

Hence from
New York, to
Europe (Eng-
land for me).
Five weeks in
England and return journey home.

Standing on corner of 22nd & College
shortly after 10'clock, with Jerry New-
man, waiting for a ride downtown and
thence to Waterloo and Cedar Rapids.
Rode downtown with Miss Riggs and to 
Waterloo, with Jack Ebel.  Attended to 
several business matters, including 
stopping at the Y and calling Thelm 
a.  Caught a ride out of Waterloo to a 
point half way between Waterloo & LaPorte 
from there straight into Cedar Rapids 
The driver didn't know much about cars.
In Cedar Rapids his starter stuck so 
after following the necessary proce-
dure I remedied the difficulty and 
saved him a garage bill.  I then caught


June 2, 1934

Handwritten note 2


a ride to Marion, arriving at 5:o’clock. 
Finished packing my share of the trunk,
went down town and bought knickers 
and films.  Had dinner at Gordon's. 
Then went down to Huttons and had ice
cream and cake.  Bob, Quentin, Alvin
Johnson and Maurice Boatman had arriv
ed by that time.  Someone suggested
driving all night and the next day.  So
instead of starting early Sat. A.M.  we
left Marion at 11 o'clock. The car was
well loaded down, six boys and their
baggage in a Pontiac.  Crossed the Miss.
R. about 10'clock.  Had breakfast, coffee
and rolls, at Chicago Heights.  We drove on 
to Valpariso, stopping at the Union and
kidding a Prof. and student and buying
stickers. Had dinner at Fort Wayne, Ind. 
Then it began to get hot.  We stopped
to rest in a church yard near Van Wert
but the flies and ants were too numerous. 
Wrote a card home from Van Wert. from
Van Wert, Ohio, on the farm crops began to
look much better.  Rail fences quite nu-
merous.  Ate supper at Upper Sandusky
and stayed there all night in a


June 2-3, 1934 

Handwritten note 3


tourist camp.  When we woke up the next 
morning, found out we had slept within
50' of an oil well.  The 1st I had ever seen
but not my last.  Squint sure can drive
past stop signals.  Bob broke a mirror 
in the showers at U. San., told the fellows
that I did it.

6/3/34 (Sun.)
Had breakfast in the quaint little town, of
which we were to see more, of Bucyrus, O. 
Ate lunch at Minerva, Ohio where I also cashed
one of my checks.  Drove from there to P
Pittsburg.  Pittsburg was some town.  We
all oh'd and ah'd at the sights, and especia-
lly the long bridge.  Traffic not so bad.  The
residence district stopped very abruptly.
Had dinner at Jennerstown, in the foot
hills of the Alleghenies.  Boy what foot
hills, we wondered what the m'ts were 
to be like.  Hills were very steep outside 
of Pitts.  Stayed all night at Bedford. Cross-
ed from Ohio to W. Va. and Penn. at E. Liver

6/4/34 (Mon.)
Up to this time we thought the hills were
bad, but were told at the garage, where
we had the car greased, that the worst


 June 4, 1934

Handwritten note 4 


was yet to come.  Whew!!! (perspiration)
More driving in 2nd gear while everyone else
whizzed by.  (Forgot to mention that we
obtained some red paint at one town
and a brush at another, the day be-
fore. Charley had then painted on the
drum case "Campus Playboys -- Europe
Bound -- Iowa State Teachers College.")
Trying to get anything to eat so early was
not so satisfactory. Left Bedford about
6:30.  When we had allmost reached the top
of one of the m'ts we had a flat.  Bills
Place at the top.  Saw some m't. red 
bats.  While fix. tire a Mich. car drove
up. Mr. & Miss Gainesworth of Detroit &
formerly of Davenport -- going to New 
York and also sailing on the Carinthia.
Small old world.  Had lunch at Gettysburg,
saw the battlefield, cemetary and bought
stickers.  Thought Pitts. was some town
but you ought to see Philadelphia.  Saw
home of Betsy Ross, Franklin's Grave
and Independence Hall.  Wrote a card
home, but didn't get it mailed till I
got to N.Y.  Drove thru the tenant
district on the way out.  Boy what

June 4-5, 1934

Handwritten note 5


a sight.  Squint got on the wrong side
of a one-way trip street.  One driver
said "where the hell are you going?" and
Bob stuck his head out of the window
and said "you shut up."  Drove on to
Trenton where we slept out all
night.  And I'm telling you they sure
raise big mosquitoes.  Had dinner &
bought fruit between Trenton and 
Philladelphia at

6/5/34 (Tues.)
Drove into New York and were down at
foot of Broadway at 8 o'clock.  Cleaned up
at the Public Bath.  (ugh) Went up to
the Cunard office.  Got directions & 
contacted Larry.  Saw the Aquarium
and some of the pleasure boats at dock.
Mailed the card I wrote in Gettysburg.
Then drove down to the Pier and check-
ed my drums.  Saw the Carinthia for 
the first time and got some stickers.
Then drove to the Chesterfield Hotel
where we stayed over night.  Bob saw
a pick pocket do his duty.  Ate lunch at
Kelloggs.  Had a short rehearsal.  Saw
Radio City.  Rode on moving stairs.  Took
Bus out to see the fleet.  Saw a



 June 5-6, 1934

Handwritten note 6


dirigible.  The sights on Riverside
Park, the sailors, were very typical of
the picture of "Fleets In."  Took bus
back to the Hotel.  Dinner at Kelloggs.
The other fellows went for a walk, I 
stayed in.  Went to bed early. Bob,
Larry and Elliott got kicked out of
Paradise Inn, for not being properly
dressed.  They wanted to listen to the

6/6/34 (Wed.)
Day of sailing.  Wrote a card home
and also to Thelma.  Went down to the
office for final instructions.  The fell-
ows went to music publishing house
for music.  I was to go to Berlin's
but couldn't find them.  Arrived at
Pier at 12:45.  Boarded ship and had 
lunch.  Were to start playing on dock 
at 2 o'clock.  Began playing shortly after
3 o'clock.  Played until 4:30.  Man came
up and wanted to hire us for a roof-
garden job on Sat. night.  Whew!!!
Boat sailed promptly at 5 o'clock. 
Took pictures upon leaving dock of 
Cunard Pier 54, the Acquitania &



June 6-7, 1934

Handwritten note 7


Empire State Bldg sky line & of the
Statue of Liberty.  Went below to un
pack and dress for dinner.  Played
from 9:15 to 11:15.  Not many out for
dancing.  Took turn around deck and
went to bed.  Oh yes--at dinner--salt
in my coffee as well as the lid of the
coffee-jar.  Ha-Ha.  I can see I am 
going to enjoy my meals.  No one sea
sick yet.  Met a composer (Rev. Siefert)

6/7/34 (Thurs.)
Felt fine all day.  Ate very heartily
Menus very attractive.  Plan to save
them.  Had rehearsal from 11-12.  Time
out for Life Boat Drill.  Went to the
Cabin Lounge and heard concert by
the Ships Band.  Had tea in their
stateroom immediately after.
Played for dinner--7:15 to 8:15--and
again from 9 to 11 o'clock.  Squint be-
ginning to feel rather oozy.  Charley
and I had a Scotch and soda and beer
with a "gentleman" gambler from S.
Car.  Felt worse after that--but not 
because of the drinks.  Went swim-
ing--salty water.  Played Ping-Pong
with members of the ships orch.  They are good.


June 8, 1934 

Handwritten note 8


6/8/34 (Fri.)
Ate my half grapefruit alone.  Had no
appetite the rest of the day.  All others
of the fellows very seasick.  The sea
being much rougher, also a fresh gale.
Am getting to talk more like these
bloody Englishmen.  Was sleepy so 
slept all morning.  None of us ate 
lunch. Got rid of my grapefruit.
No rehearsal--sickness.  No playing
all day because of the rough weather
and sickness.  This is sure a dead
boat.  Very few young people.  Larry
Ross' mother is on board.  Went down
into 3rd class with Ships Band for a
concert.  Bob and I ate a little dinner.
I feel grand now, just as good as 
ever.  Went up to the bar, and for 
politeness sake had to take something.
Had another beer--guess I shall stay
out of the bar.  One of the young fell-
ows is a former Shanghaii Policeman.
Met the artist who draws all cover de-
signs for "Time".  He is very interest-
ing.  Some ship passed us during the
night, could just see the lights.  The


 June 8-9, 1934

Handwritten note 9


artist's name is M. Maurel.  He, a Betty 
Lewis, of Muskegon, Mich, myself and a 
friend of Betty's had a grand time on
deck from 9 until 2 o'clock.  Singing,
walking, playing (piano and ping-pong)
talking, etc.)  That artist sure has been
around and plays piano very well, also
composes some.  Betty is a graduate of
New England Conservatory of Music at
Boston.  Her brother plays in some
play, piano, on Broadway.  Is also a 
designer and a composer.  Had a big
chat with the barber.

6/9/34 (Sat.)
Weather a little better.   Woke up at 8:30
when our waiter came to find out
what we would have to eat.  All went to 
breakfast. Larry couldn't keep his.
Squint still not feeling so hot.  Bob &
Charley are better and I feel fine.
Went down to swim before breakfast 
but no water in the pool.  All fellows
still feeling oozy except myself so didn't
have rehearsal this A.M.  Played for the 
Horse Race this P.M.  Played again in the
evening.  Everyone beginning to feel OK.
Saw 3 porpoise this afternoon. An oil
tanker also passed (W. B.) this afternoon.

 June 9-10, 1934


Handwritten note 10


Quentin wanted to show the cook how to 
fry an egg hard when all they would 
give him was a soft boiled-egg.  Met B.
after the dance.  Maurel, Betty, her 
friend and myself talked until 3 A.M.
Maurel knows Lily Pons, Paderweski, Joan
Crawford, Franchot Tone, Rubestien, Ravel
and others very well.  Is a good tennis
player.  Was in French Army 3 yrs., told 
us of his experiences.  We think we 
are educated after graduating from
T.C. or any other Mid-West school.  But
we are not.  One has to meet up with 
people such as Maurel and also girls
such as Betty before you realize your
lack of education.  It leaves me speech-
less.  Maurel's politeness makes me feel
like a tramp.

6/10/34 (Sun.)
Didn't wake up till 12 o'clock.  Walked
on deck with Betty and her friend.  Had
a fine lunch.  All the fellows are feeling
fine.  None of us were up for breakfast.
Didn't play any to-day except a concert 
from 9 until 10:30.  Concert was very well
attended and very well received.  The 
"Gentleman" from S. Car. was there,
[The Crown Prince -- and shake the bag]


  June 10-11, 1934

Handwritten note 11


slightly intoxicated, and put on his act.
Spent the afternoon doing practically 
nothing.  Spent the remainder of the
evening, after the concert, with Betty,
Marcel, and Dorothy Bearce.  Betty's
brother writes under the name of Mor-
gan Lewis.  Wrote "Lets Play House" for
the show "New Faces" which has been 
playing at the "Fulton House" since
March.  Dorothy's home is in Lewiston,
Maine.  Betty played "Griegs-Concerto"
for me, during the afternoon.  Turned 
in about 2:45.  Bob, Elliott and Larry
each played 2 solos this evening.
Quentin played one.  After giving 
3 Blind Mice at the dance Sat. night
we had to give it again at the con-
cert.  Of course it was undoubtedly
very appropriate.

6/11/34 (Mon.)
Got up at 10 o'clock.  Was the only one
to eat breakfast.  The other fellows
are still in bed.  Got our landing tick-
ets this morning.  Are to play for 
the Horse Races out on deck again
this P.M.  Will play for dinner and
for dancing again this evening.


June 11-12, 1934

Handwritten note 12


The gang, Betty, Dorothy, Marcel and I are
going swimming this afternoon.  We are
planning to stay up and watch the
sunrise one of these mornings.  As
Betty says "I am afraid this fast life
will be the death of me."  Didn't go swim-
ing because there wasn't any water in the 
pool.  So washed out some clothes.  The four
of us were together again after the dance.

6/12/34 (Tues.)
Got up early and went swimming before 
breakfast.  Made me very hungry, so I had
a very, nice large breakfast.  Made a tour
of the pantry and kitchen this morning.
Reminded me of my work at the Rail-O-Matic.
Were taken thru the engine room this P.M.
Was very interesting--the propeller shafts,
especially.  Went swimming again.  Played
in the Verandah Cafe this P.M.  Then,
again for dinner and for dancing after
dinner.  Quit early and went up to the Star-
board Lounge, Cabin, to hear the other
band.  They are not so hot.  Saw Mary
Randall, almost had a dance with her
but one of the pursurs came in so I
couldn't.  Her husband is a composer,


June 12-13, 1934

Handwritten note 13


English, of a very popular English tune
"Where Is Mary?"  She is an English actor
and is going back to England to do a movie.
She is also very sporty.  Marcel writes for
a French paper ^"La Jouer"^ and has been very busy.
So we didn't do any tearing around, but
went to bed.  Quentin and I had a nice
bull session.  Took pictures this P.M. and 

6/13/34 (Wed.)
Slept until 12:45.  No one called me and
I just didn't wake up.  Had my landing card
changed from Havre to Southhampton.  Guess
my trip to Paris is definitely out of the
question.  Today is Bob Getchell's birthday.
The four others are planning to get him 
something.  It is raining a little outside,
so we don't have to play for the Horse 
Race.  Are playing a Request Program at
Dinner to-night.  After dinner there is to
be a Fancy-Dress Ball.  The dancing crowd
is sure punk.  Not more than 5 or 6 couples
any evening.  Very few young people.  Mostly
old sedates, you know.  Plan to write
letters home, to Dick Sidwell and to Thelma
this afternoon, will do it right now.  Loafed
around until dinner.  After the dance

June 13-14, 1934

Handwritten note 14


in the evening Betty, Marcel, Dotty and I,
stayed up until 4 o'clock.  Marcel playing.
He and Betty finished composing a song,
of which he is to give me a copy.  He
leaves me stupified.  He, by the way, has
never had any piano lessons or harmony.
He plays beautifully.  To-day was Bob's
birthday, we bought him a little sailor
doll for a present.  Each of us also 
tipped the waiter.

6/14/34 (Thurs.)
The Majestic passed before I was
awake.  Got up at 9 o'clock.  Had breakfast
and got Larry to play the new piece
of Marcel's.  It is very modernistic.
Are now in the Channel.  Passed Scilly
Islands, Lands End, the Lizzard and
can see land off in the horizon.  Saw
some small fishing sail-boats, two war-
ships, frieghters and a 3-masted
schooner in full sail.  Took some
more pictures to-day.  Washed out 
some clothes.  Played for the Horse
Races, Dinner and Dancing after
dinner.  I'll sure miss these meals.
We reach Havre about 4 o'clock in


  June 14-15, 1934


Handwritten note 15


the morning.  And leave again at
7 o'clock so as to take advantage of
the tide.  Have just finished pack-
ing.  Tomorrow being Marcel's birth-
day and it being the last night board 
ship we (the four) are going to stay
up all night.  Will tell to-morrow what
we did.  Wonder where and what I
will be doing to-morrow-night.  Bet I'll
be plenty tired.  England here I come.

6/15/34 (Fri)
Well, and here I sit, in D 91.  We sure
have had a mighty pleasant and memor-
able voyage, never to be forgotten.  We
are just leaving the Port of Havre.  I
never thought I would feel as I did,
gosh what a lump I had in my throat,
when I shook hands goodbye and the
fellows stood on the Pier and waived.
I say now that I sure am going to
come back, but who knows what fu-
ture holds in store?
Was up all night.  Played ping-pong
with Betty, and ate oranges.  Went down
to my cabin for a thermos of cold water
and a glass as we pulled into Havre.


June 15, 1934

Handwritten note 16


Marcel, Dotty, Betty and I each took
a drink out of the glass and then
threw it overboard.  Wonder when I
shall see Marcel again, if ever.  Also
Betty and Dotty after we part at 
The thrill of coming into Havre I 
shall never forget.  The lighthouses
along the shore, the Havre Pilot Boat,
the dredges with their unceasing
clanking and creaking, the buoys,
going thru the gate into the har-
bor and pulling up to the pier.  The
lights of the promenade along the
water front and as dawn broke the
strange looking buildings and street
as if we were on a movie lot.
Ate breakfast with the fellows
and wrote a card to Bob to be mail-
ed from Havre.  Gosh I sure wish 
he were along.  And when I stop 
to think of it I am a mighty long
way from home and folks I know.
Ate breakfast at 5 o'clock with the fellows.
Ate breakfast again about 830 with Betty
and Dotty.  Saw immigration official at
about 11 o'clock.  Forgot to mention the


June 15, 1934

Handwritten note 17


Gendarmes bycicles and small fishing
boats at Havre.  Weather very foggy.
Hope it clears up, but it doesn't look
like it will.  Cashed one of my checks
and recieved my first English coins.
Ate dinner with Betty and Dotty.  Wasn't very 
hungry after 2 breakfeasts.
Weather cleared up as we pulled into
Southhampton, except for a short drizzle.
Arrived at 2 o'clock.  Left boat for cus-
toms house at 3 o'clock.  Custom house
wasn't bad.  On way in saw the Nettley
Naval Hospital and scene of Schnieder
Cup Races. (Air)  Watching the unloading
of the boat sure was a sight.
Upon arriving up town a mother of
a boy on the Carinthia (in hospital) di-
rected me to the Y.M.C.A.  Stopped at
American Express Office to see about
sending a bag on to London.  Then walk-
ed on up beyond Bar Gate where I 
finally decided to board a street car
which I did on the wrong side.  Finally
got to the Y.M.C.A., obtained a room, ask-
ed some questions and set forth in
search of a bike.  Changed to my


June 15-16, 1934


Handwritten note 18


knickers and proceeded down High!
Boy the people sure did stare.  They
aren't accustomed to seeing nickers it
seems.  (Went to sleep here)  "Sat. morning"
Went to several bike shops, after walking a
great deal, and finally purchased one for one
pound.  Bought some repair tools etc.  This
left hand driving just about drives a
person dizzy.  Found out that they don't
measure a mile by feet, but by yards
or furlongs, 8 furlongs to a mile.
Sought a stamp and mailed a card to the
American Express Co., London.  Most of
the meat shops open write into the 
street.  While looking for a bike I had
stopped in a front of a store and asked
a man about the price of a certain
article.  Got to talking with him and
he bought a paper for me, looking for a 
bike ad.  These Englishmen sure seem
to be quite nice.  Petrol is 1'5 per gallon. 
Popular songs are Wagon Wheels, Cabin In
The Pines and (No 1.)  Took a shower, start-
ed to write in this, fell asleep and
went to bed.  You get room and break-
fast here for 5'6.

June 16, 1934


Handwritten note 19


6/16/34 (Sat.)
Was awakened at 7:30 by the bell.  Shaved,
and went down to a breakfast of oatmeal,
bacon, eggs, toast, marmalade and tea.  Re-
turned to my room where I set about 
sorting out what necessities I would
want to carry with me and those that
I wouldn't need that I could send on to 
London.  Am about ready to take the bag
down to the railroad station, go to the
American Express Office, take some pic-
tures and start out on my great expidition. 
Completed said errands without a mishap, also
bought a Road Map at the F. W. Woolworth store
before returning to the Y.M.C.A.  Tied my 
pack on the back, had my picture taken
and left there at 12:30. (Took a pic-
ture of the Bar Gate on my trip downtown.
Took a picture of the typical English
House before leaving Southhampton.
Stopped at Botley for a short rest be-
fore going on to Shedfield where I
stopped and called on Mrs. Alice Cheyne
of Boston who was on the Carinthia,
whose parents she was visiting.  She had


June 16, 1934

Handwritten note 20


asked me to try and call if I came that
way.  Met the whole family, and had a 
lunch of bacon, bread & butter, tomatoes, cake,
onions and lemonade.  Their bacon is just
like our smoked hams and the bread 
was baked in an old fashioned wood oven.
Get oven hot, scrape out ashes, etc., 
place dough in and leave till baked.  Had
a very hard crust.  Also had tea, includ-
ing strawberries, bread & butter and cake be-
fore leaving.  They also put up a lunch of 6 
sandwiches, cold pork and a piece of cake
along with 2 oranges, bought along the road
at 1d each made a very nice lunch for the 
It seems that many of the farmers live
in town and go out to the farms each day.
A brother of Mrs. Cheyne is a farmer, has six
acres.  All fruit and vegetable farming.  The straw
berries are very large and luscious.  Another bro-
ther, Herbert, is a carpenter.  While he is work-
ing he pays into a pension fund.  When he is
out of work he gets a pension, which amounts
to 1 pound per week, approximately $5.00
All children are required to go to school until
they are 15 and may continue until they are 16.
If they wish to continue they may try for

June 16, 1934


Handwritten note 21


a scholarship, i.e., if they can't pay for
further education.  It seems that the tea-
chers, themselves, are not well trained.
After leaving Shedfield I went to Wickham.
There is a mill located there in which there are
timbers from the Chesapeake.  One can see the 
shot in these timbers.  Also there is a little
country church, which they call a Cathedral.
I went inside, even as far as the Belfrey
to see the bells.   There are eight in all,
four have just been cast, the other four
have been there since 1776.  Took a picture
of it.  The English countryside is indeed
very beautiful.  Words cannot describe it.
The towns are very quaint and exceptionally
neat, as are the wood and country side. The
name of above mentioned church is St. Nick-
olas--Church of England.
As one rides along one can see many ^the^
large country estates, Cathedrals nestled
off in a yonder valley or on the side of a hill,
their bells pealing sounds--well you 
can't describe it.  Also the cuckoo birds 
from a distant woods, the first I had
ever heard.  I came to a hay field where
they were making hay.  In England they
either have a shed in which to put the hay


June 16, 1934

Handwritten note 22


or they stack it and cover it with
thatch.  They have an elevator similar to
our corn elevators, on to which they pitch
the hay, whence it is carried upward and
on to the stack.  They rake it into wind-
rows as we do.  They don't use a hay rack,
but have a two-wheeled machine with the
wheels about fifteen feet apart.  Between 
the wheels they are slats to form sort of
a scoop.  They use two horses, the driv-
er riding on a cart behind, and scooping up
the hay carry it over to the elevator.  The
barns very seldom have any windows and
no hay lofts.  They use Shire horses al-
most exclusively, as yet I haven't seen any
others, and all that I have seen are very
nice and healthy looking horses.
The Soberton Towers Preparaty School
for Boys, located on the yonder side of a
valley impressed me very much.  The
setting was so beautiful and peaceful.
Peaceful seems to be the word most de-
scriptive of the English countryside.
There are many taverns along the
road where you can buy--ales, stouts, etc.
Also in the towns as well, but no signs
of drunkeness.

June 16-17, 1934 

Handwritten note 23


When at Shedfield I was told of the Tattoo
and Massed Bands at Aldershot.  A Tattoo being
similar to our Bazars.  I camped between 
twelve and fifteen miles from there but
could hear the concert very distinctly.  What
I mean it sure sounded good.  It doesn't get
dark here until about 10:30.  Slept in a
hay cc cock.  Was quite comftorable.  The dew
sure is heavy.  Rode a good 45 miles to-day.

6/17/34 (Sun.)
When they write the date as I just did
they do it thus--17-6-34.  When you get
weighed it is in stones--one stone equal
to fourteen pounds.  There are no drug-
stores, but chemists shops.
Woke up about four o'clock.  Got packed and
rode into Guildford, six miles, at five o'clock.
There were many people sleeping along
the rode.  Was getting rather hungary but
could find no place open.  Rode on and 
"Believe It Or Not" had my first bike
trouble at Ripley.  Waited over an hour
before could find a shop open.  Ate
breakfast there.  The trouble was
very minor and didn't cost anything.
After doing my first riding on Saturday,
I didn't feel quite as sore as I did

June 17, 1934

Handwritten note 24


after my first horse-ride.
As already stated these country es-
tates are very beautiful.  Wood, or iron
fences around them for mile after mile.
One very seldom gets to see the build-
ings because of the hedges, woods, etc.
Once in a while you can see them from a
distance, while riding along a ridge or on
a hill top.  Rode through the Black Forest.
It too was marvelous, especially when
you go around a curve and see a very
pretty lake with a background of mar-
velous, big, stately trees.  I found it
to be very chilly in the mornings. 
Today being Sunday there are many cyclists
on the road.  Boys and girls, men and wo-
men, young and old, all traveling on
bikes, single and tandem.  There are
some tandem bikes with a side car on
them for the baby.  Cute?  Also many
motorcycles.  And cars with only one
back wheel.  All the cars are quite
small and low.  Some of these Eng-
lish cars are plenty swankey.  Am
drawing nearer London, one can tell
by the amount of traffic going in


June 17, 1934

Handwritten note 25


the opposite direction.  I honestly be-
lieve that there are more bycicles in Eng-
land than there are cars in the U.S. of A.
Some times groups of 12 and even more 
pass me.
Made a point of going over to Wimble-
don on the way in.  Rode up to the fence
and looked in.  A young man came by
and said "I see you are from America,
and that after coming so far wouldn't
you like to get inside?"  Of course I
said "yes."  So he used my bike to step 
on to get over and let me in.  It seems
that his dad has been head-greens-
keeper for 35 years, and his dad 
was head-greenskeeper before him.
Took a picture of the courts (outside
club courts) and had one taken of 
me on the tournament court.
They can seat 14,000 in the main 
stand.  There are 16 grass courts
and 14 hard courts.
Got within a few blocks of Hyde
Park Corner and my bike went
screwy again.  While endeavoring to
find a repair shop I found a

June 17, 1934

Handwritten note 26


place to room, at 64 Chaldwell,
just off Vauxhall Road, at 15/ per
week.  Can and will get my own
meals.  Took a  bath and cleaned up
immediately.  Wished I had my 
good clothes to put on so people
wouldn't stare at me.  Started
for Park Lane Hotel.  Went by 
Westminister Abbey, Bucking-
ham Pallace, thru St. James
and Green Park to Picaddily
and the Park Lane.  Did a great
deal of extra walking to get
there.  These streets are a 
crime, i.e., the way they are laid
out.  I don't try to remember 
streets, but the landmarks.
Betty and Dotty weren't in so
left word for her to call. Start-
ed back home.  Did some more 
extra walking.  Bought some
stuff to eat and proceeded to do
justice to it.  Was just ready to go
to bed at 8 o'clock when Betty 
called and so I just had to go
back to the Park Lane.  If I were


June 17-18, 1934 

Handwritten note 27


to go straight, without any wander-
ing around it takes one hour to
get from where I stay to the
Park Lane.  Used a sideway at
the Hotel because of my nickers.
Boy was it ever grand and glori-
ous to see someone you knew.
We recounted to each other for
three hours, our experiences.  Then
I went home, plenty tired, and to
bed.  Rode another 40 miles to-day.

6/18/34 (Mon.)
Didn't wake up till 1 o'clock.  Ate 
and took a tram to Haymarket
and to the American Express Co,
to get my bag.  Wrote a card home 
and mailed it there.  Went down to
the Cunard Office, and as at the
American Express, no mail.  Went
on down to the Home Office on
business.  People stared as much
as usual, but the stickers on my
bag helped a great deal in side-
traking the glances and guffaws
from my Knickers.  Supposed to be
at Park Lane at 7:20 to go with

June 18, 1934

 Handwritten note 28


Betty and Dotty to the Sohoe District.
Started to write in my diary and
fell asleep.  Woke up, took a bath
and shaved, ate and dressed.  Boy
it sure felt keen to not have any
one stare at me.  Found to my a-
mazement that it was after 8
o'clock.  Got lost again.  Finally 
caught a tram and arrived at the
Park Lane one hour late.  No 
Betty and Dotty so I sat down to
wait.  (Forgot to mention--got a 
blister on 1st toe of my left foot
from walking on Sunday.  Also
enjoyed talking to sailors from
the New Orleans who were in Lon-
don for the day.  Also in all my
life I have never seen so many
girls walking the street.  One 
walked up and felt of my nickers.
They all but kidnap you.  The
best dressed women, for style,
are these girls of the street.
The people of money sure have
queer clothes.  English girls as
a rule I believe are not as grace-

June 18, 1934


Handwritten note 29


full and attractive as the Am-
ericans.  The men are better
dressed than the women.  Met
two girls, from the Carinthia, in
the Cunard Office.  Betty and
Dotty came in.  They had been 
out to dinner.  Had given up trip
to Sohoe, because of late return
from Oxford.  Went up to their 
room again, fooled around and
ate oranges.  Finally I said to 
Betty, "Come on lets go outside."
This was about 12 o'clock or after.
So we started out to find some
wine.  Walked and walked.  Could
find no respectable place open.
Only two at that.  Went as far 
as Sohoe District.  Had about
given up looking when we found
the "Cossack." (night club)--Only
Negro Band in London--Didn't 
have to have formal wear.  So Betty
and I went in.  It was then 1:15
and they had to close at 1:30.
Could get no wine, so ordered
orangeade and lemonade.  Danced

June 18-19, 1934

Handwritten note 30


to St. Louis Blues.  Boy it sure
sounded like Home Sweet Home
to me.  And was that band hot--whew.
Bill was only 2/ which I paid and
Betty left a 1/ tip.  Plan to go
back Thursday night when they
will be open until 2 o'clock.
All cafes and restaurants and
bars are to close at 12 o'clock.
However there are certain
nights in the week (one each
week) when they can stay open 
longer.  All other shops, fruit 
stores, confectioners, etc.,
must close at 9:30.  No excep-
tions.  Known as the Defense
of the Realm Act--Passed dur-
ing the War to protect the Shop
keepers.  Boy what a long walk 
home.  Got to bed at 3 o'clock.

6/19/34 (Tues.)
Woke at 12:30.  Tried to fix
bike.  Did so partially, but can't
figure out the rest.  Will have
to do some inquiring.  Wrote in
diary and brought it up to date.

June 19-20, 1934

Handwritten note 31


Mended my slicker and nickers.  Am
going out to get something to 
eat.  Then I am going to clean 
up, go out walking and to the
Park Lane about 9 or 9:30.
Will not stay long to-night as I
must get to bed if I am going
to get up and do any sight seeing.
Every time I leave my room to go to
the Park Lane I go the same way as far
as the Abby, then I go a different way.
To-night I got down on Victoria Em-
bankment and then up on Strand, two
miles out of the way.  But then I got
to hear a Pro. Band.  They were 
quite good.  The director had a style
of his own, of directing, which was
just the opposite from our style.  Arriv-
ed home about 12:30.  Savoy Chapel--Cute--

6/20/30 (Wed.)
Had the landlady call me, and was out
of here by 9:30.  Went to Westmin-
ister Abbey and got in on part of
the services.  Saw burial places of
The Unknown Soldier, John & Charles
Wesley, Chaucer and David Liv-

June 20, 1934 

Handwritten note 32


ingston.  There are loudspeaking setups
in all the large Cathedrals.  From there I 
went up Whitehall, saw the Horse Gaurds,
and to the National Art Gallery and St.
Martin's Church.  Then started out for the
Temple (thought it a church) off Fleet St.
Had my first meal out, in London.  Steak
French friend potatoes, roll and butter, for
11d.  Couldn't get in Temple until 3:30.
Temple is Law center.  So I went to
the Temple Church, built in 1605.
Very nice little church.  Bought a
Cigarate holder and some matches.
One must buy matches in London, or any
place in England, as they do not give
them away as they do in the U.S.  Also
bought some pictures and a map of 
London, on steps of Nat'L Art Gallery 
earlier.  Then went to Dicken's Old
Curio Shop on Portsmouth off Portugal
just off Fleet.  There I bought a plaque
and took a picture.  Then I went back 
to the Temple and one of the high 
spots of my stay in London.  On the way
I saw a judge wearing the wig.  The
walls were lined with crests, one of them
sir Walter Ralieghs.  Saw a picture of

June 20, 1934


Handwritten note 33


Chas. I, oil painting by Van Dyke, riding thru
Whitehall gate.  There are only 3 in exist-
ance, the other two being at Windsor
and Warwick Castles.  Also a carved oak
screen, carved by Flemish Hugenot Refu-
gees in 1574, 4 years in making. (Marvelous)
A table ^(built in 1570)^ in 3 pieces, 3" thick and 29'6"
long of oak, taken from Sir Francis Drake's
ship the Golden Hind, also 1 chair from 
his cabin on the ship, the other is at
Warwick Castle.  Also an oak platform 
built Feb. 2, 1601; dedicated by Queen
Elizabeth for Shakespeare to present
Twelth Night, has never been used since.
A wine chest of oak built from wood of
the old Temple Bridge across the Tham-
es in the 11th Century.  Their dinners &
the sounding of the horn date back to
1410.  I then went down the street a 
short distance and saw the Cheshire
Cheese, a very musty place, tucked
back in between large buildings.  Then
back Fleet and Strand to Oxford & hence
up to Regent and Libertys, a depart-
ment store.  Their stock was grand &
you don't see anything like it in the 
U.S.  The crowds and traffic are


June 20, 1934

Handwritten note 34


enormous from 5 until 8 o'clock.
Then back to Oxford and up to Hyde
Park, the Marble Arch.  Mustn't forget
the modernistic buildings on Oxford,
Regent and New Bond Sts.  Saw my 
first and much heard of soap-box
orators, but they had no soap-boxes.
Very silly.  Walked thru Hyde Park to hear
the Scots Military Band.  They too were
good.  They charge 1d for programs and
2d for a seat at these Concerts.  Then
on down thru the Mall past Buck-
ingham Palace, where I saw the larg-
est 2-winged passenger plane flying
overhead that I have ever seen, then 
on down the ^Pall^ Mall past St. James
Palace and Marlborough House and
then on home to eat and sleep.  The
day has been cloudy and sprinkling
occasionally.  Couldn't help but not-
icing as I walked, the heavy shoes
and soles of the men's shoes and
that London is sure a man's town.
There are no ladies.  They are
either beggars or prostitutes and
possibly both.  And such clothes the
women do wear, ugh.  Many poor,

June 20-21, 1934 

Handwritten note 35

both men and women sleeping out
at night.

6/21/34 (Thurs.)
Got up and down to Tate Gallery,
about ten minutes walk, about 9:40,
20 minutes before opening.  Enjoyed
this exhibit much more than the
Nat'l Art Gallery.  The Turner Exhibit,
Sargent's works and the Statuary were
wonderful.  Especially Sargents.  Saw
the originals of "The Horse Fair" and
of "The Doctor."  When I came out at
11 o'clock it was raining so I went back
to the House and got my slicker and
had some lunch.  Then I started out
for London Bridge, The Towers, The
Royal Mint, The Monument, The Bank
of England, The Royal Exchange, St.
Stephen's and St Paul's Cathedral.  The
later two impressed me far more
than did Westminister Abbey.  Then
down Fleet & Strand to the Amer-
ican Expres on Haymarket.  Got
some money, but no mail.  Saw a 
young fellow who was on the Car-
inthia.  Then home to eat, clean

June 21, 1934

Handwritten note 36


up, get my diary up to-date before
going back to the Park Lane and
thence to the Cossacks on Jermyn
for a little night life.  Betty says she
is going to get me drunk on wine.  Well
I wonder.  Had my suit pressed for
the affair, on the way home this
after noon. (2/)  Has been almost a steady
drizzle all afternoon, wish it would let
up for the evening.  Arrived at the Park Lane
about 7:45.  Sat in the Lobby listening to the
Orchestra until 9:30.  Met a newspaper man
from New York, Marcel Lewis Baron--a grad-
uate of McGill--Very concieted, etc.  Our bill at
the Cossacks was 15/, they sure touch the wealthy
Americans.  The floor show had a slight odor.
Met a Cap't Goodlitte and another man also
a Cap't.  Went to his studio apartment to
tuck him in bed.  Made us a gift of some
blotting paper made for King Edward.  His
address is 22 Bury Walk, Chelsea (S.W.3).
Chelsea is the artists center.  He was 
a Cap't of the 17th Lancers.  Showed us the
pair of pants that Amy Johnson ^Mollison^ wore when
she made her non-stop flight to Australia.  Also
had some whiskey and soda and smoked
English and Egyptian cigarettes.  His companion

June 21-23, 1934

Handwritten note 37


took us back to the Hotel about 4 o'clock.  They
had books dealing with New York and America
that we had never heard of and knew many
things about the States that we did not know.
His apartment was very nice.  His compan-
ion stays at the Cavalry Club.  He also 
lent me a book, and then we forgot our
blotting paper--will have to try and get it.
The sheep in Green Park were blatting
as I left the Park Lane, and it was fast
getting daylight.  Got home, ate a little
lunch and to bed about 6 o'clock.

6/22/34 (Fri.)
Woke at 10 o'clock as fresh as a daisy. Ate
breakfast and went up to Caledenia Mar-
ket.  What a sight and what a mess.  Bought 
a cigarrette case on Fleet St. on the way
up.  Came back to the house, ate and
went out to Cap't Goodlitts after the
blotting paper but he wasn't home.  Went
down to the Park Lane and spent the 

6/23/34 (Sat.)
Woke up real early--7:30.  Ate breakfast
and went to the American Express.  Mail-
ed 2 cards, but no mail for me.  Met Betty
and Dotty at Whitehall and went from

June 23, 1934 

Handwritten note 38


there to St. James Palace to see the
change of guards.  A very colorful affair
and the band was also good.  These
guards serve 2 hr. shifts at four-hour
intervals, for 1 shilling, about 25¢, per
day.  Went from there to see Parliment.
Parted after making a dinner date. They
to go to the tower, I home to eat, 
clean-up, etc.  Will have to stay over till
Monday because my bike won't be ready
till then.  Bought a shirt, studs, cuff links
and ties at Austin-Reeds just below Pica-
dilly Circus.  Also got a shine and a rose.
Ate dinner at Simpsons on the Stand
Boy what a meal.  Went back to the Park
Lane, Betty had a present for me--2
chocolate cup cakes, from Lyons Lt'd.
Boy were they good.  Also had some
strawberry flans.  Had to take a taxi 
home because it was raining (1/6) Mr.
Goodliffs friend is Cap't N. W. Eastwood.
Rudolph Dunbars Band furnished the
music at the Cossacks the other night.
The only colored band in London.  We had the
only table set for dinner, right on what
I would call the ringside.  Two num-

June 23-25, 1934 

Handwritten note 39


bers played by the band that I had never 
heard and especially liked were "Sweet-
est Jazz-o-mine and Old Creole Love Song.

6/24/34 (Sun.)
Was to have met Betty and Dotty at the
Wallace Collection between 2-5 o'clock, but
didn't get up.  However, I had been up
earlier; ate, cleaned up, did some washing
etc, but had gone back to bed again.
Arrived at the Park Lane about 6 o'clock.
Helped them pack before going out to 
dinner to-gether at Lyons Maison-House
near the Marble Arch.  A very nice inex-
pensiv``e dinner and very nice music.  Re-
turned to the Park Lane.  Wrote a card to
the Gumps and spent to rest of the 
evening with Betty.  She and Dotty are
both very nice.  Wonder if we shall ever
meet again.  (While there Betty made
the remark that she had only spent
$130.00 in London--aside from Hotel Bill)

6/25/34 (Mon.)
Went to the bike shop.  Must have a
new rear wheel, costing 10/6.  Ouch.
Will only have free-wheeling now instead
of 3-speed.  Oh--well, such is life.  Stopped
in at Westminister Abbey again and

June 25, 1934 

Handwritten note 40


also saw the Kings tombs, which I didn't see
the other time.  From there to the American
Express, cashing my last check.  Gosh!!
Then to the Park Lane to meet Capt
Goodlitte at 12:30 and get the "blooming
blotting paper" also to have a cocktail.
Got the paper and had 2 Martinis (my
first) with Cap't Goodlitte and Cap't East-
wood.  From there to the Wallace Collec-
tion in Manchester Square.  It is abso-
lutely marvelous.  Portraits by Reynolds.
Rembrandt and Van Dyck; collections
of dishes (Seures), old Armour, Jewell
cases, etc; and of old antique furni-
ture such as I never hope to see equall-
el.  All are in a fine old house.  Is 
considered to be the greatest collection
willed to a Nation by an individual.  On
my return journey home I saw H.R.
H. the Queen coming out of the Mallett &
sons of Bath (Antiques) on New Bond
street.  Also stopped in at William E. 
Hill & Sons where I saw some very
wonderful old violins, violas, cellos,
guitars, etc.  Some very historic instru-
ments in their collection, including 2
Amatos and a Stradivarius which

June 25-27, 1934

Handwritten note 41


they had in their window.  Am at the
present getting all packed and ready
to clear out in the morning for Croydon
Airport and Centebury.  Not only be-
cause of shortage of money but because
of loneliness or homesickness. I wish
I were starting for home, instead.

6/26/34 (Tues.)
Left here about 12:45.  Bike repairs 
cost 11/.  Stopped at Rochester, a few
minutes, the site of the Saxon Cath-
edral built by Ethelbert, King of Kent,
A.D. 604.  They were having services
when I arrived.  The accapela choral and
chanting was marvelous.  The rains of
an old Norman Castle, nearby, were
quite interesting.  Slept out near SItting-
bourne, about 10 miles from Canterbury.
Had fresh strawberries before going to 
bed and also the first thing in the morn-
ing.  Rained a little to-day.  Made 60 miles
to-day in approximately seven hours.

6/27/34 (Wed.)
Arrived in Canterbury, just ahead
of the rain at 6:25.  The picturesqueness
of the countryside; narrow, winding


June 27, 1934

Handwritten note 42


roads, mile after mile of orchards
and hops; hundreds of sheep; red flow-
ers, also other flowers, along the road
side and in the fields.  I hope never
to see anything as impressive and
beautiful as the Canterbury Cathedral.
Sections being renovated are undescribable
in magnificance.  The stained windows,
decorations, the cloisters and the choir
loft.  Also the ruins of the most ancient
part, St. Augustines chair, so old that
they don't know its origin--first Arch-
bishop seated in 597 A.D.  It is early in
the morning, I am the only visitor here.
A few men around, cleaning.  It rained
until about 11 o'clock.  Had lunch just out
of Canterbury.  Farmers sell milk to re-
tailer, who pays the milk board in Lon-
don, who in turn pays the farmer.  Same
is done with potatoes, etc.  Biking is 
rather hard because of a strong head-
wind.  As I neard Hollingbourne I 
passed an old tea house, "The Tudor" and
the doorman had on an old suit of arm-
our.  Looked up Tom Davall in Maidstone.
He had gone to Chatham with Mr. Thominson so
I rode on over to Rochester and Chatham to

June 27-28, 1934

Handwritten note 43


try and find him.  Had tea at his place
before leaving.  Looked at the Cathedral
and Castle again.  Finally found Tom and
had a few minutes talk with him.  Felt
much better.  He was going to hear the
Archbishop of Canterbury.  Wish I could
have stayed.  Rode on out of town a few
miles and stopped at a dairy farm to get
some milk.  The fellow had been in
Wisconsin for over 20 years, had been back
only 2 years.  Lived about 150-200 miles 
from Waterloo.  We sure had a long chat
comparing habits, customs, etc. of U.S.
and England.  They call a cultivator 
a break, their small grains--corn, corn--
maize, hilling spuds--balking.  They
don't have much popcorn and when
they first saw it in Chatham a short
time ago--they called it--roasted 
monkey-nuts.  Rode about 50 miles to-
day.  Weather very disagreeable.

6/28/34 (Thurs.)
The sun comes out so beautifully in
the early morning and it feels so good.
But for the last day or two it soon
clouds over and gets very chilly. Took

June 28, 1934

Handwritten note 44


a snap-shot of the bosses garden.  Was
very beautiful.  Saw a fucia-bush, quite 
large and very beautiful.  The boss gave
me a bottle of milk and so I had break-
fast.  His hired-man, the one from Wis.
let me clean-up in his house.  Then I 
wrote to Bob, Betty and Thelma.  Left his
place about 10:30.  Headed for Croydon
Airdrome.  Had to stop for personal rea-
sons and on account of showers, sever-
al times.  Ate lunch and mailed cards
the other side of Chiselworth.  Arrived at
Croydon about 4:30.  Saw the Air-France
plane which goes to Paris in 2 1/2 hours.
Saw it take off.  Saw several two and
tri-motored bi-planes.  Also the 
Scylla, a 42 passenger, 4 motored bi-
plane.  Boy what a ship.  Went into Lon-
don and called on Cap't Goodlitte. 
Arrived about 6:30.  Had a whiskey and
some of his Turkish and Egyptian cigare-
ttes.  Got a room and went down to
Lyons for dinner.  Boy what a meal and-
oh-those strawberry flans.  Am stay-
ing at 9 Sidney St. S.W.3.  Got breakfast of
eggs, bacon, toast, marmalade and coffee
with room for 4/.  Rode about 65 miles to-

June 28-29, 1934 

Handwritten note 45


day.  Am very tired.  Went early to bed.
Am not to be called untill about 9 o'clock.
Hope this weather gets better.

6/29/34 (Fri.)
Had a swell nights sleep and a very
good breakfast.  Had some potato-crisps
last night.  The sure aren't as good as our
potato-chips.  Too greasy and flat.  Wrote
to Ruth Harmon.  Got my diary up-to-
date.  Am going to pack-up, go down
to Cap't Goodlittes, have a final drink
and then leave for Hampton Court,
etc.  Didn't have a final drink but--oh well!!
Bought two strawberry flans.  Stopped in Wand-
sworth Commons, took a picture and ate the two
flans, about one o'clock.  Just rode by Hamp-
ton Court.  Had passed it on the way in to
London the week before and didn't know it.
Beautiful ride along the Thames from Hamp-
ton Court, for a few miles.  Staines--16 mi-
les from London at 3 o'clock--took a picture
of the Thames, from the bridge.  Rode by
Windsor Great Park on way to Astor.  Along
the rode and in the woods there is a very
luxurious growth of ferns.  Some are at least 
four feet tall.  Am in more level country to-
day.  Not a farming and fruit country as is

June 29, 1934

Handwritten note 46


Kent.  All mansions and beautiful estates.
Stopped for an hours rest just outside of 
Ascot.  Saw the race track, grounds and 
grandstand.  Very beautiful.  Covers many
acres.  Was kicked out of the grounds.  The
shrubs are kept clipped and all very neat.  Rode 
thru Windsor Great Park, for about five
miles into Windsor.  As I entered the park
could see Windsor Castle off in the distance
on another hill.  There was a very large
herd of elk in the park.  Parked my bike,
bought a film and walked around the
Castle grounds.  Took eight pictures.  Before
leaving Windsor I watched some bowling.
Rode across the bridge and past Eton
College to Slough and Stokes Peges Church
where Thomas Gray is buried.  Saw his
grave; heard the boys choir, which was
very good, rehearsing and took a couple
of pictures.  Before getting to the church
I stopped at a farm which belonged to
a Brigadier-General.  Four hundred 
acres of parks, orchards and farm land.
His man showed me around the farm
buildings and also showed me some of their
fine Jersey cattle.  The wagons are two-
wheeled (high) one-horse affairs.  They call


June 29-30, 1934 

Handwritten note 47


radio tubes--valves and have two-valve
sets.  They call their phonographs--grama-
phones.  (Motor and electrical engineers).  Left
Stoke-Peges Church at 8:30.  Rode on through 
Maidenhead and on toward Henley before
stopping for the night.  The weather has
been very nice to-day, although rather
chilly.  Rode another 50 miles to-day.  Didn't
leave London until 12:30--quit riding 
about 9:30.

6/30/34 (Sat.)
Had a very good nights sleep--until 7:30.
Rode a few miles before stopping for
some milk and to eat breakfast.  Where I 
got the milk they had a milking machine
for every two cows--about eight in all--
so could milk 16 cows at a time.  Finished
writing yesterdays diary.  Am going on
into Henely now and then on to Oxford.
Want to get beyond Oxford to-night.
If the weather is decent on Sunday I
think I shall make it a day of rest.  And
here I still sit.  Felt rather sleepy, slept for
several hours.  Woke up and decided to go
back to that nice straw stack and stay until
Monday.  Sat in the sun trying to get a tan,
ate lunch, took a bath, went after some


June 30-July 2, 1934 

Handwritten note 48


milk, ate dinner and will read till dark.
Went after a fresh bottle of water this P.M.
and thought I was going into a farm, but
nay, t'was a very nice place, what with a
butler who brought me a glass of beer
on a silver tray and filled my water
bottle.  The owner was very friendly and
thought it a coincidence because he had
some American friends from New York 
visiting him.  A Mr. & Mrs. Higgins--his
office is in the Empire State Building.
We had a very nice friendly chat.  The
day has been quite hot and not very
chilly.  Rode about 15 miles to-day.

7/1/34 Sun.
Didn't wake up until about 9 o'clock.  Rode 
after milk for my breakfast.  Sun-bathed, shaved,
mended my trousers and a rip in my oilcloth.
Read, went after milk for my supper, slept
some during the day, and in general did no-
thing but lay around.  It has been very
warm.  Rode about 5 miles to-day.

7/2/34 (Mon.)
Boy this is sure going to be a hot day.
Stopped in Henley-on-Thames for a half-hour
and saw where they have the Regatta.  They
are having it this week.  Had breakfast and

July 2, 1934 

Handwritten note 49


a short rest there also.  Stopped about
11 o'clock to fill my water bottle, to rest and
also had a shanty.  (Beer and ginger-beer).
Arrived in Oxford before 2 o'clock.  Stopped at
Magdalene College.  Took two snapshots.  There
are 27 colleges for men and 3 for women in Ox-
ford.  Walked around the College, visited the chapel
kitchen and dining hall.  The 3-scroll panell-
ing in the dining-hall dates back to 1541.  Talk-
ed and had a beer with two of the students.
Christ's Church had a much nicer chapel.
Things surely are commercialized here in
England.  Am going on toward Stratford-On-Avon
from here.  After seeing one college one
has seen them all.  The Beer at Magdalene
is especially brewed for them.  Wish one 
could get a beer in the States like you can
here.  The dining hall at Magdalene is very 
similar to the one in Middle Temple Lane.  How-
ever, not has historic, impressive or as nice.
Looked in on the Bodlean Library.  (Batteries
are called accumulators.  The cinema instead of
the movie.  1 L tax per H. P. on autos.  Locomotive
trucks.)  Had just left the Bodlean Library
and Radcliffe Camera and had stopped at the
Crossroads to see which way I should go out of
town when someone said "Hello, Dick," (twice)


July 2-3, 1934 

Handwritten note 50


I didn't seem to realize that anyone was
speaking to me, but when the traffic light had
changed and I looked around to see if the way
was clear there, each on a bike were Squint,
Bob and Larry.  You can imagine what joy 
all the way around.  One chance in a hundred 
or more of ever meeting and did we meet.
As Squint put it "Everything in Paris so high
and bread in long loaves," they had only stayed
in Paris a very few days.  They were in Lon-
don from the 19th to the 23rd and I didn't leave 
until the 26th.  Well, that was about 4 o'clock.
So we rode back to the Y.M.C.A. Hostel, where
they were staying.  Took a room, supper, break-
fast and dinner for 5/.  We sure had plenty
to talk about.  I cleaned up, had supper, washed 
out my dirty clothes, talked some more and then
to bed.  Rode a good 35 miles to-day and it 
was warm.

7/3/34 (Tue.)
Had a very good breakfast.  Spent the
morning riding around the Colleges, Bodlean
Library, Radcliffe Camera, etc.  Bought some
souveniers and found out that there are
no DeMolays in England.  Had a very nice
dinner and then slept all P.M.  Took a short
ride before dinner.  Felt I couldn't stay a-

July 3-4, 1934 

Handwritten note 51


nother night but Squint fixed it up so I could
sleep for nothing and also get my meals for
nothing.  The body sure is very kind.  After
a very nice supper I went swimming with 
some of the fellows from the Hostel.  About
eight of us all to-gether.  They and the house
are just like a college rooming house.  They
treated me to a shanty and two bitters.  Were
kicked out of a pub.  Had a good time.  Rode ten
miles to-day and it was also hot again.  Beat
the fellows in the plunge and swimming under

7/4/34 (Wed.)
The four of us biked a round trip of 44
miles to Henley-On-Thames to-day for the
opening of the famous Regatta.  Arrived at
12 o'clock.  Obtained a very good position
on the River Bank and saw several races,
also took some pictures.  Ate our lunch,
that had been put up for us, along with
some three-penny ice-cream.  I also had
another Shanty.  Saw Princeton, Yale, Eton
and others win their heats.  The Regatta is
certainly very colorful.  Stopped to listen
to the band and got kicked away.  Ha-ha.
Left Henley-On-Thames for return journ-
ey at 4 o'clock which we (Larry and I)


July 4-5, 1934 

Handwritten note 52


made in the record time of 2 hours, includ-
ing several rests.  And then a swell fish-
supper.  After supper I went to the cricket
grounds to learn to play cricket.  Got to bowl
and bat (tried to) before the whole gang got
kicked out of there.  So we went swimming,
ten of us.  Had a farewell party on the
way home, in a pub, for one of the fell-
ows, of the hostel, who was leaving.  Had
five bitters, sang songs and had a good
time in general.  On the way home, to avoid
hitting a fellow whose bike wobbled, I took
one grand spill.  A burnt knee--no damage.
Went home, had a snack, said "Cherrio" all
around and went to bed.  And did things
ever go-around.  I don't know if I were
drunk, which I don't believe, but I do
believe its as close as I want to come
to being so.  Another warm day.  Could
hardly believe it was the 4th of July,
though.  Rode a good 50 miles to-day. 
Also saw a peacock
7/5/34 (Thurs.)
Left here for Stratford-On-Avon at 10
o'clock with Squint, Bob and Larry.  11:30
at Blenhiem Palace (Duke of Marlbourough)
of Woodstock.  He was buried the 4th
in the Palace Chapel 15,000 acres in the


July 5-6, 1934 

Handwritten note 53


Great Park and they don't know how
much outside of that.  Palace and grounds
very beautiful.  His first wife a Vanderbilt,
the second and present wife a Boston girl.
Also saw Chaucer's and Cromwell's ^(1643)^ homes.
Ate the lunch, Miss Drew had packed for 
us, near Chipping Norton.  Rested enroute
a few times and arrived in Stratford-On-
Avon at 4 o'clock.  Saw the memorial
Theaters Trinity Church where BIlly
Shakespeare is buried, his home, Anne
Hathaways Cottage and John Harvard's
mothers home.  (Katherine Rogers--1596)
He is the founder of Harvard U.  Then
the 3 fellows found a place to stay (in a
house that dates back to the 15th Century)
and went out to eat, while I bought some
stuff, found a place to eat it, scouted around
for a haystack, wrote in my diary and am 
now going back to town to spend the rest of
the Evening with them.  Rode 46 mi. to-day.

7/6/34 (Fri.)
Spent morning with fellows walking around
town, sitting on bank of Avon in Trinity
Church Yard.  Went down to the market
at noon, had lunch at house where
fellows stay, on Rother St. Slept,


 July 6-7, 1934

Handwritten note 54


wrote in diary and wrote card to
Margaret.  Had breakfast within a 
few feet of Ann Hathaway's cottage.
Saw the Town Hall and Shakespeare Grammar
School, which is still in use.  Had dinner near
Ann Hathaway's Cottage.  Also had a Mars
bar which tasted mighty good and some-
thing like good old America.  Rode almost
8 miles to-day.  Had a flat tire so used 
Larry's bike in the evening.

7/7/34 (Sat.)
Woke up, after a good nights sleep, at 5-
o'clock.  Rode around, sat in the sun until 8:30
when I had breakfast, again near Ann Hath-
way's Cottage.  Rode into town, met the fellows,
got a repair for my bike and left for Warwick
and Kenilworth Castles.  Arrived in Kenilworth
Shortly after 11 o'clock.  Shortly before noon we
parted, the fellows for Birmingham and on 
to Chester and Berkenhead, I for Cambridge
etc.  Certainly have enjoyed the last four
days spent with them.  It is another warm day.
Got up, mounted my bike and lo and behold
I had a flat tire.  Had picked up a phono-
graph meedle.  Anyway, to make a long story
short I took the wheel and tire off five
times, the last time I bought a new tube.


July 7-9, 1934

Handwritten note 55


Ate dinner near Warwick.  Shortly
after that about 9 P.M., my front wheel
tightened up.  Waited for a cyclist to come
along who had a tool I could use to loosen
it with.  One did--fixed wheel--went on-- 
got some water--came to a nice hay-
stack--stopped--wrote in diary--and
so to bed.  Saw a very nice Carnival
Parade in Kenilworth this afternoon.
It was a benefit affair for their 
hospital.  The red poppies blooming
everywhere, all over England, are very
colorful.  Only rode 28 miles to-day.
Brings my total up to 500.  (Not bad, 
and I'm not through as yet.)

7/8/34 (Sun.)
Didn't wake up very early.  Ate
breakfast. Shaved and washed up.  Was
bitten, in the right leg, by a bitch span-
el.  Ouch, says I'm.  Wrote a letter to
Betty.  Dozed and sat around all day.
Has been a very nice sunny, warm day.
Will stay in the same haystack as last
night.  A very good one.  And here I sit.
7/9/34 (Mon.)
Woke up about 6 o'clock.  Rode 14 miles into Banbury where
I bought bread and some roast beef and lamb also a sweet


July 9, 1934


Handwritten note 56


roll.  Very dismal and chilly, till I got to Banbury, then
the sun came out and it started to get warm.  Ate lunch
abut 4 miles out.  Rode into Sulgrave where I saw an
old stock, for capital punishment, and Washington's
Ancestral Home.  Rode from Sulgrave to near North-
ampton, very narrow and winding, with not much
travel.  Also very quaint and picturesque.  Bought
more food at Bedford.  Tried to find Bunyan's
Cottage, with no success--too tired.  Ate lunch
about 4 miles out of Bedford.  Had goat's milk,
my first, which wasn't bad.  Also the roast beef
was almost green and scraped maggots off it.  It
really was very good roast beef.  Saw two large
dirigible hangars.  The R-100 ^(or 101)^ was housed in
one of them and also it's mast.  (Near Bedford.)
Saw a car, 1897 model, which still perculates.
Sure has been warm to-day in spite of a good
breeze.  Made a good 85 miles to-day.  Feel
quite sure that one could do 125 miles ^(in a day)^ easily.
I sure feel like I had gone quite a distance.
There are 65,000 registered bicyclists in the
bicycle clubs alone, to say nothing of those
who do not belong to a bicycle club.  My
estimate would be that there are just as
many, if not more who do not belong to a
bicycle club.  In fact I believe I would be
safe in saying that there are at least twice
as many.  Am waiting for it to get dark so that


July 9-10, 1934

Handwritten note 57


I may turn in.  Nice hay stack spotted, so I have.
7/10/34 (Tue)
Woke up about 4 o'clock.  Had an extra coat and a good
heavy sack.  Stopped about three miles out of Cam-
bridge, rested, cleaned-up and ate breakfast.  It
is very dry around England.  Talked to one farmer
who does nothing, all day but haul water for
500 sheep, 6 cows and 8 horses.  There are many
others in the same fix.  Mailed Cap't Goodlitte's
book to him.  Wheat is worth 1 1/4 L for 36 stones.
Stopped at Trinity College--largest under-grad
uate school in England.  Very nice court, etc.
Went on down to King's College, which is very, very
nice and attractive.  The best yet.  One can't
beat these stained glass windows in the Cath-
edrals.  Kings Chapel, took a picture of it and 
also of the entrance to the College, is lighted
entirely by candlelight.  I'd sure like to see 
it lighted up after dark.  The students have 
very nice, large, comfortable rooms.  It is now  
about 1 o'clock.  The Cathedral at Ely is
like the others--undescribable in beauty,
splendor, magnificance, etc.  Got in on part of
the services--boys choir and organ--good.
It is now about 5 o'clock.  Took a picture.
Wasted one exposure--forgot to turn it.  Damn
it that's not the first time, either.


July 10-12, 1934 

Handwritten note 58


Could see Cathedral for 5 miles.  Stopped outside Ely,
for milk, in time for  tea.  Rode from Littleport to Wersbeck.
30 mi. in 1 1/2 hr.  Never saw as many acres of fruit and
spuds in all my life.  Ate supper just outside Wersbeck.
Rode 65 mi. to-day--and it has been warm--again.

7/11/34 Only 10 more days till --?--.
Woke about 5:30.  Rode a few miles--ate a lunch.
Boston--10:30--saw Cathedral--bought food ^at Market^--dinner and
good sleep outside of town.  Could only get soft water this
morn - but it's wet.  This country in hear is sure
flat.  The last one-hundred miles has been nothing
but pedal all the way.  No rushing swiftly downhill
to gain a good start to go up another before
leaving to pump--or walk.  All this flat section is
fruit and vegetable farming.  After reaching 
Sleaford the country began to get hilly.  Warm 
again to-day.  Rode 49 miles.  Right leg poops out
on me.  Found an isolated hay-stack to-night, so
am going to hit the hay early.

7/12/34 (Thurs) Only 9 days left until --?--
Guess I didn't get up very early.  After eat-
ing a lunch and cleaning up I rode into Lin
con--11mi.--arriving at 9 P.M.  Had a hair cut--
dry shave and was it dirty--ugh.  Saw
the Cathedral--(Windows--the Bishop's Eye, made
out of bits of glass, and the Dean's Eye - a design
ed window with no green in it.  No green in the
Dean's Eye) (The story of the Imps) Saw


July 12-13, 1934 

Handwritten note 59


the shrine of Little St. Hugh--reffered to by
Chaucer in the Prioress Tale.  Newport Arch,
1000 B.C.  Stonebow and the Lincoln Castle.  
Ate lunch out of Lincoln on way to Gainsborough,
about 2:30.  Very dandy and cool breeze, but
still rather close.  Wonder if it will rain?  Hope not.
Rode within a few miles of Crowle when it began
to rain.  Asked a farmer to sleep in his hay shed.  OK.
Lady commented on my teeth, where I bought milk,
and wanted to know if they were my own.  Very
cool and nice for biking this PM.  Rode 48 mi. 
to-day.  If the weather is decent I will browse
around York to-morrow.  Oiled my bike to-night.
Will be in bed about 9:30.  What?-Me-Well-Well.

7/13/34 (Fri.)  Only 8 more days left until --?--
Boy did I ever have a warm place to sleep--top
of new hay next to a tin roof--Oh.  Boy.  Woke up
about 6:30.  This farmer (manager) has every-
thing in tip-top shape.  Very good cattle and bldgs.
Plow potato ground, 14" deep, with steam engines.
First scatter manure, by hand, then plow so as to
get a good mold.  Had 500 hands picking peas.
8 o'clock--still raining, only more of it.  Am only
30 mi. from York.  Hate to ride on--can't take
pictures on a day like this.  Did get to York at
2 o'clock and took pictures of Boatham Gate Bar
& Cathedral, & Shambles.  Saw Warm Gate Bar
also, Castle and City Walls.  The Cathedral

July 13-14, 1934 

Handwritten note 60


is the most vast of any I have seen.  One
window as large as a tennis court, 13th Cent-
ury design
, contains half of the medieval
glass in the Kingdom, valued at 70,000,000 L
(about $3,500,000,000.00) 200,000 fragments,
took 4 years to restore.  Five Sisters Window,--
each section 5' wide, 13th Century Design,
each piece less than 2" across, 300,000 pieces
in all.  Sacred Heart Window--Wesleyan
Period, denoted by the figures in the glass.
Bought tea cakes and had some mineral
water (similar to our Pop.).  Drizzled all
way from Crowle to York.  Then it be-
gan to pour ^ Did I ever get soaked--my teeth^ Got very wet.--Rode to Rip-
on where I got room, dinner and break-
fast for 5/. Had a warm (hot) bath.  Boy
it sure felt good.  Am getting low on 
cash so will rush journey through and
try to get Windemere, Chester, etc.
to Liverpool by Tuesday if possible--and
I think I can.  Rode 68 miles to-day.
Friday 13th sure hadn't been my lucky day.

7/14/34 (Sat.) Only 7 more days until --?
Called at 8 o'clock.  Breakfast at 9:30.  Had my
glasses fixed visited the Cathedral and on way to
Fountain Abbey at 11:30. Rested at Fountain Abbey
then back to Ripon and off to Windemere (?) etc.
Looks like it might rain some more--damn the weather.


July 14-15, 1934

Handwritten note 61


7:30 PM
4 Miles from Hawes.  Boy, there sure are some hills, up and up,
down and down.  What fun going down, but oh the walk up.
All stone fences and bldgs.  Small fields, make hay by hand.
Most pretty country of England I have been in.  Sun is
shining and sure hope it warms up.  Have been facing a
strong breeze all day and it has been rather chilly.  Noth-
ing but wild hay, pasture, sheep and cows.  Put hay on
sleds.  Made 43 mi. to-day.  Very pretty ^(grand)^ sunset.

7/15/34 (Sun.) Only 6 more days until - ? Oh-boy.
Cawing of crows, crowing of roosters, blatting
of sheep, roaring of waterfalls and is it chilly or
no--whew.  Sedbergh--7:30 (16 mi)--breakfast.
Took picture, also at Bainbridge--yesterday.  Last
10 mi. all down-grade--oh boy what fun.  Rabbits,
plenty of them, by the dozen.  Going to be a 
very nice day.  Oh--yeah!  Clouded over shortly
after and may rain yet.  Two miles out the chain breaks.
Walked (and rode) back to town - the bill 6d.  Have
changed route from Penrith via Kendall to Penrith
via Kirkby Stephen.  A little longer, but not near as
much walking.  Left Sedbergh--again--9:15.
Kirkby Stephen, Gateway, to Eden Valley 12:30.  Bought
cakes and got a recipe.  Penrith - 25 mi - 4 o'clock.
Carlisle (and Scotland) - 18 mi.--5:45.  Saw ruins
of old castle (Broughton) as I came into Penrith
Have gone just 80 mi. so far and am going on
to Dumfries and buy a Beret (Oh Boy).
Rode 6 mi. and it began to rain.  Stayed at a


July 15-16, 1934 

Handwritten note 62


Y. H. A. near Gretes Green--former English
ammunition works site. Rode 86 mi. to-day.

7/16/34 (Mon.)  Only 5 more days until --?
Breakfast and out of Y.H.A. at 9:30.  Just be-
ginning to let up--rain.  Only 22 miles to Dum
fries.  Dumfries--12:45.  Could find no beret
that would fit.  What a shame.  Now for Liver-
pool.  Stopped in at Gretes Green, which is in
land, just over the border of England and
saw the famous Old Blacksmith Shop, for its
runaway marriages.  Also, passed the Old Toll
House where over 10,000 marriages have been
performed.  The wind blowing in from the
sea, which I can see, is very strong.  It has 
cleared up (about 1:30) and is very pleasant
except for the strong wind.  Carlisle--5:15.
Clocked my 1,000th mile just outside town.  64 so far
to-day.  If the first thousand is the hardest, then the rest
will be duck-soup for me.  Now I can open up to 66 pn
--oh yeah, not in these hills.  Saw the Cathedral and
Castle.  9 o'clock--Bothel.  Boy what I mean
that wind is strong--cut my time in 
two after leaving Carlisle.  Rode 82 mi
to-day and am about ready to drop.  Got
a lady to trust me for bed and breakfast.
Am too tired to sleep out.  She would
have let me sleep free in the house

July 16-17, 1934

Handwritten note 63


before letting me sleep in the barn.
It gets very cool here, being so near the 
sea, can see it part of the time.  Anoth-
er good reason for not sleeping out.

7/17/34 (Tue.) Only 4 more days until -??
Boy what food and what a nights sleep.  Oh
boy!!  Best strawberry jam I've had (or any
jam or marmalade) in all England.  And the
bacon (ham) um-m-m!  One more night
and I'll be in Liverpool.  Hot-dog.  10:40 and
I'm off.  Could see twelve miles to Solway Fifth
and Dumfries Hills, from the front door.  Kes-
wick, beautiful little town nestled in the valley,
at 11 o'clock.  (In Kirkby Setton, the other day, a lady
was under the impression that we ate nothing but
bear for meat.  Hah-Hah.)  Sure am sleepy--stopp-
ed and took a two-hour nap.  Then rode a couple
miles to a Pub and had a shanty--feel better
now.  Windemere--3:45.  Stopped at Wordsworth's
Cottage (Dove Cottage) in Grasmere.  Took a snap
shot.  Camera roll stuck and can't take any-
more pictures to-day.  It would, too, right in the
midst of the most beautiful, breath-taking, awe
inspiring country I ever hope to see.  Boy-oh-boy
it sure is grand.  They always bring a pitcher of
boiling-hot water when serving tea, why I don't 
know.  But this morning I asked for hot water to



July 17-18, 1934

Handwritten note 64


shave with and I got a cup of hot-boiling H2O.
And at breakfast just twice as much boiling
hot-water.  And still I maintain why they serve
boiling hot-water with tea, I don't know.  Amen!
In England each town owns the gas light, water,
and tram companys.  They also build the
houses and sell them.  Rested 45 min. and bought
some milk before leaving Windemere.  Left Winde-
mere--4:30; arrived Lancaster, via Kendall--30 mi.--
at 6:45--2 hrs. and 5 min.  That's not bad for
my type bike and its also going some and
doing some fast pushing.  Stopped for lunch
at Lancaster.  Preston--10 o'clock--pouring
rain--me, all wet and phooed out.
Rode 90 miles to-day ^Total - 1,111 mi.^  Liverpool to-morrow

7/18/34 (Wed.) Only 3 days until--Can't you guess?
Left a call for 1 o'clock, but it was still 
raining so didn't get up right away.  Am 
staying at the Holborn Restuarant in
Preston.  Last night at Mrs. L. Edmunds
Brown Top Farm, Botherl, Carlisle, Cumber-
land.  (whew - what an address).  Had a 
flat tire when I got ready to leave at 8 o'clock.  Kept
pumping it up till I got to Liverpool, riding in 
on a flat, 35 mi. at 1 o'clock.  Opening of Mersey
Tunnel, King and Queen in town, half-holiday.  Got
mail and found the fellows.  Fixed tire and 
cleaned up bike.  Five fellows from Tri-State

July 18-20, 1934

Handwritten note 65

Indiana came in.  Went out to dinner--oh-boy.
Total miles for whole trip 1150--plenty to last a 
while.  Am breaking in a knew pipe.  Met a Sam
Weill; Rochester, N.Y., studied all over, been all over
the World, writes for Hearst Newspapers.  He has
been chumming around with us.  ^Sure was great to^ get mail from home

7/18/34 (Thurs.) Only 2 days until--?--well I wonder.
Got up about 8 o'clock and tore down to the American 
Express to get my bag.  No mail.  Got letters from Betty &
home yesterday.  They sure hit the spot.  Wrote 14 cards
to friends.  Sold bike for 5/.  Took shirts to Laundry.
Walked around in the afternoon and evening.  Met Elliott
at Lime Street Station.  Elliott bought a bottle of Sherry.

7/20/34 (Fri.) Only 1 day left until--?--Well I'll tell you--
to-morrow we SAIL.  At that I'm beginning to re-
gret having to leave.  It sure has been grand.  Went
to Rushworth & Draeper Piano & Music Store.  Played
on a piano that Beethoven had used.  Very interesting
place. Was there 2 hrs--Larry, Elliott & I--got literature.
Went to Organ Recital in St. George's Hall, with
Quentin.  Very nice.  He and I went shopping & bought
pictures.  Had fish & chips for supper--oh, boy.
Went walking again in the evening--Elliott, Quen-
tin & I.  Elliott treated me to a drink--a shanty.
Got a letter from Thelma Petersen.  Am staying at
Turner's Exeter Hotel--near the Adelphi & the Lime
Street Station.


July 21-22, 1934

Handwritten note 66


7/21/34 (Sat)  And to-day, we sail.  Now for some 
real food.  Boy-oh-boy.  Didn't sleep at all last night.
Nervous!  Cleaned-up, finished packing, ate break-
fast, did some shopping.  Bought a cake for last
minute treat--sure was good.  No letters at Ameri-
can Express  However, got one on boat from Betty.
Sailed at 1:30.  Lunch--oh boy!  Tea with ships
band.  Rehearsal--discovered that my cymbal had
been swiped.  Am almost lost without it!  Dinner--
again oh-boy.  Played from 9-11.  Good crowd--
and did we play good--and how.  12:30--to bed
and did I sleep.  Elliott got candy & a cake.  Um Um

7/22/34 (Sun.)
Reached Cobh (Queenstown) shortly after 6 o'
clock.  Woke at 5:30 and stayed up.  Keen
breakfast.  Play for lunch and dinner--45 min.
each.  Quentin has to play for Community
Singing to-night, after dinner.  Am going to 
try singing in trio.  Reach Calaway at mid
night.  Am going to stay up.  Had soup
at 11 o'clock this A.M.  Nuff said about
food for this trip as it's bound to be
good--and the fish--woah--stop.
Wrote a letter asking for dance-job at I.S.
T.C.  Ho-hum, there sure isn't much on this 
boat.  Better dancing crowd.

July 23-26, 1934 

Handwritten note 67


7/23/34 (Mon.)  Stayed up till 1 o'clock.  (Library)
Woke up at 6 o'clock.  Breakfast--Did some
ing.- To bed.  Play for Lunch and dinner
every day as well as for dancing from 9-11.
Fellows gave some concert music this P.M.

7/24/34 (Tues.)
Woke at 6 o'clock.  Back to bed for a short snooze.
Dance.  Up to Cabin Dance for awhile-- 
Then to bed--Big plate of sandwiches.

7/25/34 (Wed.)
Woke before 6 o'clock to-day.  Back to bed
again, getting up at 7 o'clock and taking a
bath.  Breakfast--Sleep--Lunch--Sleep-- 
Dinner--Fancy-Dress Ball.  Played till almost
12 o'clock.  Played "3 Blind Mice" at dinner & were
treated to drinks, as a result.  Played bridge
till 2:30 with 2 of ships band & the Cabin
Lounge Steward.  Ships band master gave
me 8 Orchestrations.  Have been sailing
in fog from Monday morning thru Thur-
sday morning.  Bulk-head doors kept
closed & fog horn going all the time.

7/26/34 (Thurs.)
Woke early.  Breakfast.  Slept all A.M.
Lunch.  Concert Music at 4 P.M.  Cabin

July 26-29, 1934 

Handwritten note 67


Band lousy on Jazz & not much better
on concert music.  Played for lunch, dinn-
er & dancing again.

7/27/34 (Fri.)
Woke early.  Breakfast.  Did a big washing.
Played in 3rd Class at Lunch.  Played 
bridge this P.M.  Thought I was playing Auc
tion, but it was contract--oh dear!!  but we
won.  Rehearsal at 5 o'clock for the con-
cert.  Concert fairly good.  Dancing 'till
12 o'clock.

7/28/34 (Sat.)
Breakfast, early again.  Slept all A.M.
Played in 3rd Class again.  Fog cleared 
for a few hours during the evening.
First sun since last Sun.  Played for
dinner and dancing.  Met two Oxford fel-
lows who were going to Univ. of S.Cal. on
fellowships--($150 per mo. for living ex-
penses--whew).  When I came from down to 
bed at 12:30 found Larry & Bob trying to
take care of Elliott.  They had been "sky-
larking" around & in the melee Bob & his 
bunk fell on Elliott resulting in a se-
vere scalp wound.  I took him right up to
the doctor.  (he almost passed out.)

7/29/34 (Sun.)

July 29-30, 1934

Handwritten note 68

Again--up early.  Washed my hair before
breakfast.  Elliott feeling fine.  Hung around
his room all morning--talking.  Dorothy Winthrop
was there--thus the hanging around. 
Slept all P.M.  Playing for dinner & dancing
to-night.  Elliott & Quentin saw a whale. 
Are getting close to Boston.  The fog has 
lifted a little.  Wonder if we are thru with
fog for sure?  Sure has been a foggy trip.
Went up on deck (1st time to-day--5:30) and I,
too, was fortunate enough to see a whale.
Most gorgeous sunset to-night.  Saw another 
whale right after dinner.  Played for dan-
cing after dinner.  Dropped anchor in Boston
harbour at 12:30 A.M.  To-bed, tired--to get
up at 5:30 for quarantine inspection.

7/30/34 (Mon.)
Woke at 4:30.  Stayed up.  Pretty sunrise.
Sure feels great to be gazing (fondly)
on American soil again.  Nothing to the 
inspection.  Breakfast at 6:15.  Filled in 
my English map, watched passengers get
off and fooled around.  Left Boston shortly
after 11 o'clock.  Play as usual to-day. 
Slept all P.M.--till 5 o'clock.  No one down
for dancing after dinner.  All busy pack-
ing or are too tired.  Were allowed to be-

July 30-August 1, 1934

Handwritten note 69


gin packing at 10:15.  Stopped packing at 
12:15AM.  Bad fog all afternoon and still
is.  Because of heavy coast traffic this is
the most dangerous part of the trip.  In-
stead of going 15 or 16 knots we are only 
going 7.  Should have been in New York by 
noon Tuesday, but may not get in until
Wed.--depending on the fog.  Will fin-
ish packing in the morning.

7/31/34 (Tue.)
Loafed all A.M.  Wrote letter home.  Arrived in New
York about 1 o'clock.  Thru customs and loaded up by
3 o'clock.  Sure was hot.  Elliott & I went to Cun-
ard & Amer. Express for mail.  Also to New York Life
& Post Office.  Took elevated to Radio City where
we met Quentin & went to a show that was
stupendous.  Shall never forget it or the b'ld'g as
well.   Then took a tour thru N. B. C. Studios.
Ate a lunch at Kelloggs.  Met the fellows at
Hotel Chesterfield--write some letters. Then 
we pulled out for home. 
Larry & Rob went to hear
Vincent Lopez.  Larry also
heard the New York Phil-
harmonic Orchestra

8/1/34 (Wed.)
Drove all night.  Car broke down about 10' o
clock near town of Robert Ingersoll's birthplace.
(Cashed money order, with help of DeMolay card
at Waverly, New York.)  Hiked into Dresden and got a 
garage man to tow us into town.  Alivin & I are
at the garage now, the rest have gone swimming.

August 1-4, 1934 

Handwritten note 70


Drive shaft broken.  Bill 11.50.  Left town at 11 P.M.  Will
drive all night.

8/2/34 (Thur.)
Niagara Falls at 6 A.M.  Stopped to clean up, get 
gas, etc.  Niagara Falls is some sight.  Detroit-- 
Ambassador Bridge--4 P.M.  Bad storm--used head-
lights.  Steering gear broke & ran out of gas--
ate lunch--all in Detroit.  Sturgis, Mich.--12 P.M.,
Hamburger & Coffee--and did they taste good.
(Drove all night.  Cleaned up at Hammond, 
Ind.--7 A.M.)  Dinner at Tissonburg.  Canada

8/3/34 (Fri.)
18th St. entrance to World Fair at 9 o'clock.
Went downtown to Cunard & other ship's
offices.  Went to Lyon & Healy's & also to see
Casey Lytton.  World's Fair at 12 o'clock. 
Started at one end & went the round un-
till 10 P.M.  Ended tired, feet blistered, etc.
Saw J. R. Lake & Roy Vinall.  Heard the Chi
cago Symphony.  Are going to drive all

8/4/34 (Sat.)
Stopped in Clarence & saw the Melligates.
Had some good apples while there.  Reach-
ed Marion about 8:30.  Had a breakfast
& party before leaving at 1 o'clock. Had


  August 4, 1934


Handwritten note 71


mail, telling of contract for school,
at Marion.  Reached Cedar Falls at 4 P.M.
Left at 9 P.M.  Everyone stopped, it seemed
to talk & ask questions.  Sure great to get 
back.  Left Iowa Falls (Maurice Beatman &
I) after leaving Alvin Johnson & Quentin
to get the train for home, stopping at
Uncle Burt's & having lunch--time-- 
after mid-night.  Reached Story City a-
bout 1 A.M.  Folks got up--unloaded 
the car--talked until 3 A.M. & finally
to bed--the first in five nights.

"The End"

There are a number of blank pages in Richard Sucher's notebook following the August 4, 1934, entry above. 

On the last leaf of the notebook he noted the daily position of the Carinthia, the distance traveled, and remarks on the weather on the trip from New York to Southampton.  He likely copied this information from a public version of the ship's log.


 Handwritten note 72


 Log of the R. M. S. Carinthia--1934

June         Lat. (N)     Long (W)     Dist.      Remarks

7               40.12        68.06           263       Fresh breeze, Rough sea.

8               40.06        59.55           375       Fresh gale, Heavy sea.

9               40.54        51.52           371       Moderate gale, to Moderate sea.

10             42.32        43.24           394       Moderate breeze, Moderate sea.

11             45.16        34.55           402       Light breeze, Slight sea

12             47.28        26.10           386       Moderate breeze, Slight sea

13             48.52        16.41           389       Stormy breeze, Rough sea

14            49.471/2     6.37            397       Light breeze, slight sea.

Leaving New York, Wednesday June
6, 1934  (5 P. M--D. S. T.) bound for
Havre and Southampton.  Arivved
Southampton at 2 P. M., Friday
June 15, 1934


Journal scanned and initial transcription by Student Assistant Mackenzi Brophy, July 2014; edited by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson; last updated, February 20, 2015 (GP).