Jazz Archives, 1951-2001
Title: Jazz Archives, 1951-2001
Record Series: 14/09/03
Creator: Department of Music
Extent: 8 boxes; 1 oversize item (3.58 linear feet)
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: Materials entirely in English.
Information for Users
Accessing the Collection:
No restrictions. Materials are open for research.
Technical Access: Some audio clips are available online in ScholarWorks.
Sensitive Materials Statement: Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], in the [Series Title] #[series number], [folder number or title when applicable], [Collection Name], Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Scope and Content
The first jazz band performed on the University of Northern Iowa campus on February 28, 1951, in the Commons ballroom. The band's quality has since gained national recognition. These papers contain newspaper articles, photos, biographies of jazz band members, and recordings of the band over the last fifty years. Former Professor James Coffin originated the idea of developing a Jazz Archives as he worked on the program for the 50th Anniversary of UNI Jazz Bands.
Some audio clips are available online in ScholarWorks.
50th Anniversary Packet for Alumni Jazz Band Members
- Correspondence to Alumni
- List of Alumni Band Members
- Program (with pictures)
- Map of the UNI campus
- Area Visitor Guide: Waterloo, Cedar Falls Iowa
- 50th Anniversary Sound Recording (compact disc), Programs, and Articles
- Jazz Band Newspaper Articles
- Jazz Band 50th Anniversary Correspondence
- Miscellaneous Correspondence
- Background information on Jazz Band
- "Dialogues with musicians"
- Photos - dated 1951-2001
Photos identified by person
Photos - undated
Photocopies of photos
Sound Recordings (compact discs) (2)
- "At Dusk" - UNI Jazz Band One, 1999-2000. Digital copy can be accessed here.
- "Games" - UNI Jazz Band One. Digital copy can be accessed here.
Jazz Band Sound Recordings (reel to reel tapes)
- SDIJ XIX Tape 1, January 11, 1969
- CJF '69 Finals Tape 1, 2, and 3
- Midwest College Jazz Festival Elmhurst College, April 1970
- Cedar Falls, January 9, 1971
- ISTC Jazz Concert, February, 1951
- Jazz Band Video - "First jazz concert, 1951"
- Magazines with Jazz Band articles
- UNI Quarterly, 1972, vol. 3, no. 3
- Downbeat, December 28, 1955
Jazz Band Programs
Miscellaneous newspaper articles
Newspapers with Jazz Band Articles
- The College Eye, September 28, 1951, vol. 43, issue 2
- The College Eye, October 5, 1951, vol. 43, issue 3
- The College Eye, February 22, 1951, vol. 43, issue 19
- The College Eye, November 16, 1956
- Dimensions in Jazz No. 10
Jazz Band Sound Recordings (records)
- Sinfonian Dimensions in Jazz XVII, State College of Iowa Music Hall, January 1967. Digital recordings for this event can be found here.
- Stage Band Showcase , University of Northern Iowa Jazz Band, record 3, volume 1
- 1969 North Central Menc Fargo, North Dakota, UNI Jazz Ensemble, 2 copies
8 mm film, University Union Plaza, April 1972. Jazz I performed a segment for the 30-minute TV presentation produced by the National Headquarters of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Music Fraternity in conjunction with its 75th anniversary.
Photos, JATC "Jazz at the Commons"
Poster, Dimensions in Jazz no. 7
- "It Don't Mean a Thing (If You Ain't Got That Swing)"
- "Blue Skies"
- "Saber Dance"
- "Night and Day"
- "Body and Soul"
- "Orange Colored Sky"
Collage Picture of Jazz Band members
- Poster, 50th Anniversary
Materials processed and finding aid developed by Public History Intern Julie Tilton, July 2001. Web finding aid edited and marked up by Library Assistant Gail Briddle, August, 2001; updated February 8, 2016 (GP). Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, January 2018 and April 2018. Linear feet updated on September 14, 2017.