Lora Lee Rackstraw Papers, 1960-1996
Title: Lora Lee Rackstraw Papers, 1960-1996
Record Series: 14/03/02/03
Creator: Rackstraw, Lora Lee
Extent: 9 boxes (10.5 linear feet)
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: Materials entirely in English.
Information for Users
Accessing the Collection:
Most materials are open for research. Materials related to the confidentiality of personnel, student, medical, and other legally protected records are CLOSED to researchers for 70 years from the date of creation. Consult the archivist with any questions or concerns.
Technical Access: Some materials was recorded using obsolete technology, such as audiotapes and reel-to-reel tapes. This material has not been transcribed or digitized.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Sensitive Materials Statement: Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], in the [Series Title] #[series number], [folder number or title when applicable], [Collection Name], Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Lora Lee Pugh Wilson Rackstraw was born on June 27, 1931, in Omaha, Nebraska. She graduated from Clear Lake High School in 1949. She continued her education at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa, where, in 1953, she received a B. A. in Psychology. She also studied Philosophy and English at Grinnell College. She took graduate work at the Iowa State Teachers College, now the University of Northern Iowa, in 1959 and 1960, but did not complete a degree. She finished her graduate coursework in 1966 at the University of Iowa and was awarded a Master of Fine Arts degree in English.
Lora Lee Rackstraw began work at UNI in 1961 as an Information Assistant in the College Relations Office. She remained in this position until 1964 or 1965. In 1966, Professor Rackstraw became a faculty member of the Department of English Language and Literature at the University of Northern Iowa, when she was hired as an Instructor of English. In 1969 she became Assistant Professor of English. In 1975 she was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor. She retired from the faculty in 1996.
Scope and Content
Professor Rackstraw's papers consist of two groups.
Boxes 1 through 4 are organized into one alphabetical subject file. The subjects covered include, among others, the Department of English Language and Literature, course materials in the humanities and creative writing, scholarly research, environmental studies and concerns, and women's issues and studies.
Boxes 5 through 8 are organized into broad subject areas.
Professor Rackstraw's papers are strong in her area of special research: the work of Kurt Vonnegut. That portion of her papers includes many secondary sources as well as her own research and writing. Her papers also provide an excellent look at the way in which the university offered the Humanities I course in the General Education sequence in the 1980s and 1990s.
Arts and Sciences College--Collegiate Restructuring, 1989
Associated Writing Program Newsletter
Association for Integrated Studies, 1989-1991
Association for Integrative Studies Conference-Miami, 2/84
Booklists, Spring 1984
Brain Mind Bulletin, 1982
British and American Short Story Course, Spring 1969
Budget Crisis, 1991
Chalice and the Blade, Study Questions/Answers, 1989
Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines A-D:
- Arrowsmith, William - "The Shame of the Graduate Schools: A Plea for a New American Scholar"
- Berge, William - "That Lovely Green Boat"
- Bohm, David, PhD - "The Enfolded Order and Consciousness"
- Bunin, J. - "Gentle Breath"
- Capra, Fritjof - "The Systems View of Life;" "The Impasse of Economics"
- Cassill, R.V. - "The Father"
- Daniel, Glyn - "Megalithic Monuments"
- Douglas, Mary - "Away from Ritual"
- Dykeman, Therese B. - "The Physics of Rhetoric"
Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines E-J:
- Erenfeld, David - "Misanthropy and the Rejection of Humanism"
- Fodor, Jerry A. - "The Mind-Body Problem"
- Fromm, Erich - "Symbolic Language in Myth, Fairy Tale, and Novel"
- Gray, J. Patrick & Wolfe, Linda D. - "Sociobiology and Creationism: Two Ethnosociologies of American Culture"
- Gurevich, A.J. - "Time as a Problem of Cultural History"
- Jantsch, Erich - "Inter- and Transdisciplinary University: A Systems Approach to Education and Innovation"
Chapters from Books and Articles from Magazines K-Z:
- Layzer, David - "The Arrow of Time"
- Leakey, Mary D. & Hay, Richard L. - "The Fossil Footprints of Laetoli"
- Livingston, Robert - "Perception and Commitment"
- Marin, Peter - "What the Vietnam Vets Can Teach Us"
- Nochlin, Linda - "The Musee d'Orsay: A Symposium"
- Reagan, Ronald - "Inaugural Address of President Ronald Reagan"
- Roszak, Theodore - "Forbidden Games"
- Roth, Philip - "The Conversion of the Jews"
- Taylor, A.E. - "Plato: The Man and his Work"
- Warren, Robert Penn - "Blackberry Winter: A Recollection"
- Wheeler, John Archibald - "Beyond the Black Hole;" "Genesis and Observership"
- Wilber, Ken - "Odyssey: A Personal Inquiry into Humanistic and Transpersonal Psychology"
- China Mission Summary Report, 1984
- Chopin Presentation
- CLEP-College Level Examination Program
- Cluster College--General Education Proposal
- College of Humanities and Fine Arts--PAC
- Composition I and II Courses
- Composition I Course--Handouts
- Computer Grant Application, 1991 & 1994
- Constitutions--UNI & Department of English
- Continental Short Story Course, Summer 1969 and Spring 1976
- Coordinator Job Descriptions--TESOL & Writing
- Creative Writing Course, Spring 1992
- Couch, Carl J.--Iowa City
- Craft of Fiction, Fall 1971
- Creative Writing Course, Summer 1970 and Spring 1993
- Creative Writing: Fiction, Spring 1994
- Critical Theory and Practice Group
- Davidson, William D.
- deRomilly, Jacqueline, Time in Greek Tragedy 1968
- Dean's Promotion & Tenure Advisory Committee
- Department of English: Bylaws; Curriculum Committee, 1990-91; Mission & Planning, 1989-90; Mission and Planning Survey; Senate, 1989-1992; Standing Committees, 1990-91; Strategic Plan, 1989-91
- Didion, Joan 1979
- Drafts by Loree Rackstraw
- Dyadic Encounter
- Earth Mother and Father Time:1982; Iowa State Press, 1979; Prospectus, abstracts, first chapter
Earth Week, 1976
The Ecology of Literature Course, Spring 1975
The Ecology of Literature Course, Spring 1975-Student Project Proposals
Education for Survival: Biographies; Evaluations; Follow-up; News Media; Project Description and Programs; Report to Iowa Board for Public Programs in the Humanities, 1973; Speaker's Schedule, 1973
Environmental Conferences, 1973
Environmental Perceptions Minor
Environmental Perceptions Minor--Self Study, 1994
Environmental Problems Seminar
Environmental Problems--Studies, 1975
Environmental Studies Office (Oregon)
"Excellence in Undergraduate Education: The English Department" Script
Faculty Public Relations
Faculty Recruitment, 1994
Faculty Recruitment Committee, 1991
Faculty Specialties, 1990
Federal Grants-Environmental or Interdisciplinary Studies
Fellowships, Grants, and Professional Development Leave Proposals
Fiction Workshop, Spring 1976
Fiene, Don, 1977
General Education Program--A Curriculum for Survival
Great Gatsby project with Tony McAdams, 1992
Group Discussion Techniques
Hansen, William G. "Social Mythologies & Environmental Education"
A "Happening" Winter 1969
Harlequin Romantic Intrigue
Hirsch, E.D., Jr.
Humanities Coordinating Committee, 1992-93
Humanities Faculty, 1993
Humanities Major Review, 1993-95
Individual Studies Program--Prospectuses
Interdisciplinary Studies: Appendix to Proposal; Committee; Grants, Etc.; President Curris, 1983
Intermediate Writing Course, Fall
Intermediate Writing: Exposition Course
International College--New Natural Philosophy
Introduction to College Writing Course: 1984; Staffing, 1990; Staffing, 1991
Introduction to Literature Course: Summer 1985; Fall 1991; Spring 1996
Iowa Arts Council--Special Day Activities, 1972-1973
Iowa Woman Award Nomination, 1991
Journalism Interest Group, 1991
Jung--Analytical Psychology Club
Klagenfurt, Austria, 1991
Lang Hall conditions, 1988
Lindisfarne Association--William Irwin Thompson
Master of Fine Arts Degree
Master of Philosophy Degree, 1987
Meeker, Joseph W.--Essays
Monmouth College, 1982
Mythology Course: Bibliography; Joseph Campbell
Mythology Course: Library Research Paper; Spring 1991; Spring 1992; Study Questions/Answers; Syllabi, 1989-1995
Mythology: Goddess; Greek God Model; History; Mesopotamia; Theories
National Endowment for the Humanities, 1976
Night College, 1977
Playboy, January 1967
Post-Modern Fiction Course
Post-Modern Seminar, Spring 1991
Postmodernism Forum--"What is Postmodernism?" 1988
Professional Assessment Committee: 1994; English Department; Reform
Professional Development Leave, 1990
Programs and Resources
Promotion and Tenure, 1991
"Protein Energy: A Myth for the Future."
Rackstraw, Richard--Manuscript of Poems
Research Grant Applications, 1979-81
"A Rose for Emily"--Faulkner
Sheldrake, Rupert, A New Science of Life..., 1981
Short Novel Course, Spring 1979
Short Story Conference, 1992
Student Recommendation Letters RESTRICTED
UNI-CUE--Student Papers, 1973-74 RESTRICTED
Uses of the Humanities, Fall 1980
Viet Nam (Moratorium)
Visiting Poets, Fall 1991
Visiting Professor, 1991
Vonnegut--Kurt Vonnegut--Seminar in Literature Course
Women, Status of
World Order Studies
Writing Associates, 1991
Young Bear, Ray A.--Individual Studies Major Committee
Audio Recordings: Interview with Kurt Vonnegut, August 1973 (7" reel); "Planetary Culture," William Thompson (cassette); "New Connections Among Art, Science, and Technology," Dr. Joseph Meeker, October 10, 1978 (cassette)
Notes on books and articles on a broad range of subjects
Form of poetry class notes, fall 1965
Teaching creative writing notes, fall 1972
American novel class notes (Clark Griffith)
Victorian literature class notes
Form of fiction class notes (Cassill)
Curriculum vita and annual faculty activity reports
Department of English Language and Literature, department head matters
Richard Rackstraw manuscripts
Richard Rackstraw correspondence about publication of Only Let There Be Peace anthology, 1971-1973
Correspondence, summer 1982 research
Correspondence, Thomas Remington
Correspondence, North American Review
Short stories and essays by Lora Lee Rackstraw
Mythology course notes, syllabus, and examinations
Capstone course planning notes
Creative writing notes
Humanities I syllabus, examinations, teaching materials, and notes
Kurt Vonnegut secondary material; Rackstraw notes and essays; plans for publication of Vonnegut Visions, and fall 1987 Vonnegut Seminar notes
Cedar Arts Forum minutes and notes
"Love Song for Iowa", Bonnie Koloc
Legal file--RESTRICTED USE
Professor Rackstraw received press credentials as a representative of the North American Review to the meeting of the 48th International PEN Congress in New York City in 1986. She took many photographs and collected a great deal of printed information there. She reported on the meeting in an article in the North American Review.
- Professor Rackstraw's press credentials
- News coverage in secondary sources
- "PEN: a report from the front." North American Review, volume 271, number 1, March 1986. Professor Rackstraw's notes and article on the PEN Congress
- Meeting arrangements and material
- Writers' statements
- Photographs of meeting participants, including many of Kurt Vonnegut
Mementos of Professor Rackstraw's trip to Samoa and Hawaii
"Benign Respect," 1970, essay by Professor Rackstraw)
"Between Sun and Moon," essay by Professor Rackstraw)
Eugene McCarthy campaign, 1968
College Relations Office--material relating to Professor Rackstraw's work in that office
- Secondary material
- Professor Rackstraw's reviews of Vonnegut's work
- Donation of Vonnegut drawings to University of Iowa Library
- Appraisal of Vonnegut books and correspondence
- The book of Bokonon, edited by Eugene Wallingford
- Vonnegut postcards by Asa Pieratt
- Kurt Vonnegut and the Iowa connection (Presentation by Professor Rackstraw)
- Kurt Vonnegut's cast party (Essay by Professor Jerome Klinkowitz)
- Quantum leaps in the Vonnegut minefield (Essay by Professor Rackstraw)
- Kurt Vonnegut Society meeting, 1999
- Material associated with the writing and publication of Professor Rackstraw's book, Love as Always, Kurt; Vonnegut as I Knew Him
Humanities photographic slides--Professor Rackstraw used these slides in her Humanities I class, and other classes as well. There are a few commercial slides in this collection, but Professor Rackstraw took most of the images herself during her travels. Professor Rackstraw's labels and arrangement have been preserved in the slide sheets.
- Karnak; Mesopotamia; Egypt, 1977
- Mythology; goddess cultures; Greece
- Italy, 1964; France, caves
- Romanesque; Gothic
- Turkey, Istanbul
- Crete; Mycenae; Greece
- Italian Renaissance
- Italy; Rome; Greek art and architecture
- London; Paris; Monet's Giverny
- Byzantine art
- Lascaux caves
- Chartres Cathedral; Bayeaux
- Selçuk to Tlos
- Athens; Acropolis
- Chartres; Paris
- Russian Orthodox Church--Millenium of the Baptism of the Rus
- Notre Dame; Chartres
- Deauville; Normandy
- Carnac; Normandy; Poitiers
- Christ Church, Oxford
- Dordogne; Lascaux
Humanities photographic slides, continued
- Athens, National Archaeological Museum
- Aegean Sea
- Caen (Normandy); St. Etienne (William the Conqueror)
- Normandy Beach Cemetery
- Mont St. Michel
- St. Malo
- Avignon; Orange
- St. Tropez; Conque
- Poros Museum
- Poitier; castle of Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Deauville (Normandy)
- London--Picadilly, Trafalgar, Blomsbury
- British Museum
- Saint-Germain en Laye Museum and Park
- Pol Bury show--Paris
- Rouen churches
- Peter Flessel--Molecular biology and modern physics (audiocassette)
- Fritjof Capra--Quantum paradoxes and Eastern mysticism (audiocassette)
- Gregory Bateson--Double binds and levels of context, 1976 (audiocassette)
- Erich Jantsch (audiocassette)
- Erich Jantsch, interviewed by Joseph Meeker, 1981 (audiocassette)
- Karl Pribam--New dimensions of consciousness, 1978 (audiocassette)
- Jean Houston--New dimensions of consciousness, 1978 (audiocassette)
- Jean Houston--Of archetypes and exetypes, 1976
- Samoa (two audiocassettes)
- Diane McGuinness, interviewed by Joseph Meeker--Male and female perspectives, 1980 (audiocassette)
- John King--Introductory discussions of quantum theory, 1976 (audiocassette)
- S. Keen--Energy and imagination, 1976 (audiocassette)
- Karl Pribam--Holograms of mind and nature (audiocassette)
- Rollo May and John Perry--Changing American myths (audiocassette)
- Donald Justice, tape recording for Richard Rackstraw (7 inch reel-to-reel audiotape)
- Souvenir painting of goddess on leather
- Modern Egyptian money
- Souvenir modern painting on Egyptian papyrus
- Souvenir scarab carved in stone
- Stones collected from Giza Plateau near pyramids
Stereoscopic viewer for commercial images in Humanities slides
Boxes 1 through 4 arranged and finding aid created by Library Assistant Susan Witthoft; January 1997; Boxes 5 through 8 arranged by University Archivist Gerald L. Peterson, February-April 2011. Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, January 2018 and April 2018. Linear feet updated September 13, 2017.