Marshall Center One-Room Schoolhouse Selection and Dedication, 1986-1995
Title: Marshall Center One-Room Schoolhouse Selection and Dedication, 1986-1995
Record Series: 13/01/01 [Box 106-107]
Extent: 2 boxes (2 linear feet)
Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
Language: Materials entirely in English.
Information for Users
Accessing the Collection:
No restrictions. Materials are open for research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Sensitive Materials Statement: Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], in the [Series Title] #[series number], [folder number or title when applicable], [Collection Name], Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
Scope and Content
This collection includes material from 1986 through 1989 associated with the process of acquiring a one room schoolhouse for the University of Northern Iowa campus. Included are One-Room Schoolhouse Advisory Committee minutes and correspondence; lists of potential schoolhouses; nominations for particular schoolhouses; and some general information on rural education. Documentation for the finalists in the selection process includes photographs, correspondence, personal reminiscences, reports on physical condition, and newspaper clippings.
Also included are clippings and publicity material associated with the moving, restoration, and dedication of the final selection, the Marshall Center School (Marshall Township #5) from Pocahontas County. Of special note is information about Des Moines Register columnist Chuck Offenburger’s practical joke involving the delivery of an outhouse to the home of UNI’s President Curris.
- Folder 1: One-Room Schoolhouse Committee Records, 1986-1987
- Folder 2: One-Room Schoolhouse Committee Correspondence, 1986-1987
- Folder 3: Possible One-Room Schoolhouse Listings, 1986-1987
- Folder 4: One-Room Schoolhouse Committee Receipts and Vouchers, 1987
- Folder 5: Historical Information about One-Room Schools and Teachers, 1987
- Folder 6: One-Room Schoolhouse Recommendations and Renovations, 1987
- Folder 7: Letters Regarding One-Room School Search, 1987
- Folder 8: Black Hawk County, Bennington Township School Memo, Photographs, and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 9: Chickasaw County, Little Turkey School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 10: Chickasaw County, #2 Maple Grove School Nomination, 1987
- Folder 11: Chickasaw County, #2 Maple Grove School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 12: Johnson County, Monroe #2 School Nomination, 1986-1987
- Folder 13: Johnson County Monroe #2 School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 14: Louisa County, Otter Creek School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 1: Pocahontas County, Marshall Center School Nomination, 1987
- Folder 2: Pocahontas County, Marshall Center School Nomination, 1987
- Folder 3: Pocahontas County, Marshall Center School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 4: Ila Grove School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 5: Pilot Grove School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 6: Utica #7 Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 7: Wilson #2 O’Meara’s School Photographs and Negatives, 1987
- Folder 8: One-Room Schoolhouse Committee Final Report, 1987
- Folder 9: Marshall Center Schoolhouse Newspaper Clippings, 1986-1987
- Folder 10: Dedication Newspaper Clippings and Letters, 1988-1989
- Folder 11: Press Folder from Dedication Ceremonies, 1989
- Folder 12: Marshall Center School, Announcements and Brochures, 1990-1995
Arranged and finding aid prepared by Eric Schlarmann, student intern, February 1994; edited by University Archivist Gerald Peterson, February 1994. Expanded and updated for the web by Assistant Archivist Dustin Witsman and Graduate Assistant Amy Rekward, January 2015. Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, December 2017 and April 2018. Linear Feet updated August 30, 2017.