Art and Architecture Committee
Title: Art and Architecture Committee
Record Series: 07/01/03 
Extent: 5 boxes; 2 oversize items (3.58 linear feet)
Repository: Special Collections & University Archives at Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa
Information for Users
Accessing the Collection:
No restrictions. Materials are open for research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition:
Sensitive Materials Statement: Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], in the [Series Title] #[series number], [folder number or title when applicable], [Collection Name], Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.
General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies
Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.
The Art and Architecture Committee acts as a liaison between artists, clients, and the University of Northern Iowa administration. The committee was founded following the 1979 passage of the "Art in State Buildings" program by the Iowa Legislature. It recommends artists or the purchase of artwork for campus capital improvement projects.
Scope and Content
This collection contains correspondence, plans, blueprints, and photographs concerning campus projects from 1960 to 1978, along with the early 1990s.
- Gilchrist Hall
- Industrial Technology Center: Industrial Technology Sculpture, National Endowment for the Arts Information
- Library - "Dichotomy" by Philip Ogle
- Woven Fiber Hanging (proposal)
- McCollum Science Building:
- Photo Mural by John Schulze
- John Schulze Originals
- Maucker Union
- Light Reliefs, Originals, by Hung Shu Hu
- Physical Education Center
- Redeker Center Panels
- Russell Hall - "Symphony in Three Forms" by Done Finegan
- Schindler Education Center
- "Environmental Place," Originals by Hung Shu Hu
- "Environmental Place," S.I.T.E.
- Speech / Art Complex
- Towers Complex, Lounge Sculpture, Originals by D.C. Hensler
- Towers Complex, Originals by Dale Eldred
- Towers Complex Sculpture by Anthony Padavano
- "Variations on a Theme: Joy," Originals, by Bob Lorr
- Announcements and Brochures, 1990-
- Meeting Minutes, 1983-1985, 1995-
- Art and Architecture Committee
- Campus Project Plan
- Committee Budget
- Committee Members and Meeting agendas
- General Committee files, 1960-1982
- Information on other artists / artwork
- Name plates
- Possible Artists
- State of Iowa, 1/2 of 1% law - early planning
- Comprehensive Campus Plan, November 1968
- First proposal for Industrial Technology Center
- North Elevation with proposed woven fiber hanging, west lounge, main library
- Art and Architecture photo album, 1960-1974
- Correspondence and Proposals for Campus Art Projects, 1993-1996
- Annie Turner Wittenmeyer sculpture:
- Artist Charles Ross, Artist Sam Hernandez, Artist Clarice Dreyer, Unsuccessful Proposal by Clarie Dreyer, Unsuccessful Proposal by Bruce White, 1995
- Artist Clarice Dreyer's Wittenmeyer Sculpture Proposal
- Lang Hall Auditorium
- One art proposal
- One art piece
- "Art and Architecture Committee." Northern Iowa Student Government. nisg.uni.edu/art-and-architecture-committee.
- "New artwork to be unveiled at Russell Hall concert." InsideUNI, April 14, 2011. insideuni.uni.edu/newsroom/new-artwork-to-be-unveiled-at-russell-hall-concert.
Original finding aid created by Special Collections Librarian and University Archivist, Gerry L. Peterson. Papers reorganized and revised finding aid created by Library Assistant Susan A. Basye, February 1998. Updated by Archival Processor Tessa Wakefield, March 2021 and December 2021.