Cedar Falls Historical Society Oral History Interviews, 1963-1995.

Collection Overview

Title: Cedar Falls Historical Society Oral History Interviews, 1963-1995.

Record Series: 00/00/01

Record Group:

00/00

Creator: Cedar Falls Historical Society 

Date: 1963-1995

Extent: 2 boxes (0.42 linear feet)

Repository: Special Collections and University Archives, Rod Library, University of Northern Iowa.

Language: This material is entirely in English.

Information for Users

Accessing the Collection:

There are no restrictions on the use of this material.

Sensitive Materials Statement: Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy or similar laws, and the Iowa Open Records Law (see Iowa Code § 22.7). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Northern Iowa assumes no responsibility.

General Use, Reproduction, and Copyright Policies

Many items housed in the Rod Library Special Collections & University Archives, including unpublished images and manuscripts, may be protected by copyright, publication rights, trademarks, or model release rights which the library does not own and for which the library cannot grant permission or licensing. Materials currently under copyright are usually still available for research and limited reproduction under Fair Use laws. However, it is the sole responsibility of the patron to determine whether or not their use of a given material falls within Fair Use guidelines and to obtain permission for said use from the rightful copyright owner. If you are unsure where to begin, please consult the Copyright LibGuide. Please note that it is not the library's responsibility to locate or contact copyright holders for a patron, and neither the library nor library employees are responsible for copyright violations of the materials to which they facilitate research access. Please see our full General Use and Service Policies for more information.

Scope and Content

These oral history tapes were recorded for the Cedar Falls Historical Society.

Inventory

Box 1

Tape la--Florence Clay Knox, November 23, 1963
(Recollection of girlhood in Cedar Falls, Iowa) c. 1800's.
Time: 30 min. each side. Interviewer: Herb Hake.

  • birth
  • Clay Street
  • mainstreet
  • town size
  • some local residents and merchants
  • dry goods stores
  • Commercial Hotel
  • "the big ditch"
  • Baptist Church
  • E.L. Andrew's store
  • Mr. Wyth
  • Methodist Church bell
  • transportation
  • Omnibus
  • surrey
  • livery barn
  • entertainment
  • streets
  • 4th of July "Liberty Car"
  • boating on the river
  • clubs and societies
  • schools: Mainstreet, Central, & Lincoln

Tape lb--Florence Clay Knox

  • Arthur LaVon
  • "Fits" Grease
  • Crosby home with fountain
  • servitude in the home
  • seamstress
  • Normal School
  • board sidewalk from town to Normal School
  • first cement sidewalk in Cedar Falls
  • brick sidewalks
  • street lights
  • Cedar Falls' relationship to Waterloo
  • newspapers
  • mail
  • Hearst family
  • Congregational Church

(the interviewer tends to dominate the interview)

Tape 2--Fred D. Cram, February 19, 1964
History of the College. Interviewer: H erb Hake

  • SIDE A (~30 minutes):
    • 0:00 - recorded in Radio studios; Fred D. Cram as Professor, Extension worker, and archivist for the Iowa State Teachers College
    • 1:30 - Orphans home established for deceased Iowa Civil War soldiers' children; Annie Wittenmyer, the organizer of the Iowa Soldiers Orphans Home in Davenport, Iowa; Cedar Falls Lumber Company.
    • 3:20 - Old North Hall.
    • 7:30 - Senator Edward G. Miller as a supporter for a Normal School in Iowa; 1876 State took over the area and established a Normal School.
    • 9:30 - James C. Gilchrist made superintendent, later president.
    • 10:30 - Named the Iowa State Normal School.
    • 12:00 - Order of first buildings built.
    • 15:00 and 19:00 - Homer H. Seerley as president in 1886.
    • 25:00 - Bertha Martin recruited by President Seerley.
    • 30:00 - Louis Begeman insistent on changing the name of the school.
  • SIDE B (~28 minutes):
    • 0:00 - Fred D. Cram and his life.
    • 2:20 - State Board of Education; rearranged engineering.
    • 4:30 - Department heads created.
    • 7:00 - Irving H. Hart and the Extension Service.
    • 9:50 - Fred D. Cram - having the first full-time Extension Service assignment in 1920.
    • 11:00 - A.C. Fuller and the Campanile, bells from New York.
    • 12:00 - The Dean’s house built for Seerley.
    • 15:00 - Homer H. Seerley as second president (1866-1928).
    • 16:00 - Orval Ray Latham, third president (1928-1940).
    • 17:30 - First Dean, Nelson until 1961.
    • 18:30 - North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools took action once Seerley left, not enough advanced degrees.
    • 22:00 - Economic depression and the impact on the school.
    • 22:30 - Malcolm Poyer Price as fourth president (1940-1950); Price had to deal with the effects of World War II; Decimated student body.
    • 24:00 - James Maucker as fifth president in 1950.

Tape 3--Les and Leo Hughes, May 9, 1964
History of the Cedar Falls Band. Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 4--"History in Houses", May 10, 1964
Narration by Herb Hake for Slide Show.

Tape 5a--Anna Arrow Petersen (Mrs. P.C.)
Early 1900's. Time: 10 min. October 24, 1964

Viking Pump
Danish Community ("Little Denmark")
Indians

Tape 5b--Mary Marsh (Mrs. Ed)
1853-1880's. Time: 15 min. Counter: 150. November 10, 1964
Brief history of grandparents coming to Cedar Falls in 1853. Recollections of merchants and businesses along Main Street.

  • various doctors
  • Emmet Mullarky
  • Dahl family
  • hospitalization

Tape 5a--Stella Robinson Wynegar
(Memories of Main Street) 1880's Counter: 130 Time: 10 min. November 7, 1964
Mrs. Wynegar talks a great deal about the various businesses located on Main Street during the 1880's. She also describes the various street lights, wooden pumps, paper mill, slaughter house, sidewalks, stump in middle of street, trolley, Indians, and Chinese laundryman.

Tape 5b--Stella Robinson Wynegar
Time: 15 min.

  • Indians
  • Footes Cider Mill
  • ice skating on the river
  • horse racing on the river
  • ice house
  • brick kilns
  • dam on the river
  • swimming in the river
  • Illinois Central Railroad covered bridge
  • oldest house in town

Tape 6--Robert M. Sutton, May 5, 1966
Address given at the 1966 Banquet of the Cedar Falls Historical Society. Speaker introduced by Leland L. Sage. Speaker thanked by Iver Christoffersen.

  • SIDE A (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - Leland L. Sage gives introduction.
    • 1:00 - Quote by General William T. Sherman. William Dave Peterson and Professor Jordan were the other speakers considered.
    • 6:00 - Robert M. Sutton starts his speech, "Sucker and the Hawkeye, Compare and Contrasts" as the guest spaker from Illinois. Sutton was part of the Illinois Historical Survey and the Champagne Historical Society.
    • 14:00 - "How the West Was Won" and the idea of Western movement and pioneer communities.
    • 18:00 - French mining in the region where Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa meet, in 1720. Fur trade, slavery, use of the Mississippi River and a focus on Western immigrant literature (guides)
    • 18:30 - Speaker mentions his emphasis on railroads
    • 21:00 - Iowa and Illinois complemented each other post-Civil War. Granger Movement and Railroad Safety Legislation.
    • 23:30 - Written guides given out to people moving West with information about water sources, game, and general information.
    • 25:00 - John Mason Peck was Sutton's hero and the author of "A Guide for Emigrants," "A New Guide for Emigrants," and "A Gazetteer of Illinois." Peck knew a lot about the history, geography, and sociology of Illinois.
    • 29:00 - Peck was a Baptist missionary and abolitionist who went West in 1817. There, he founded many religious institutions and the first historical society.
  • SIDE B (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - There is only one satisfactory biography of John Mason Peck but it was lost in the Civil War. Peck's idea of American destiny in the Western world was to make religion and education the foundation of new civilization.
    • 00:30 - John B. Newhall was another writer whose work included Illinois.
    • 3:00 - Newhall talked about the joining of the Illinois River and the Mississippi River.
    • 5:00 - Military bounty area where War of 1812 veterans could get their bonus and land.
    • 9:00 - There were handbooks made for British immigrants that included routes. They also influenced Europeans to go to America and move West.
    • 11:30 - Newhall wanted to join the Gold Rush but died of cholera. Burning of the Rock Island Bridge.
    • 17:30 - Illinois' roads zigzagged while Iowa's were very East/West. Wanted to build a railroad to connect California with the East.
    • 19:15 - Started building the Dubuque and Pacific Line, which later became the Dubuque and Sioux City Line.
    • 22:30 - The Illinois Central Railroad (IC) interested in the Dubuque and Sioux City Line. This line reached Cedar Falls on April 1, 1861. The city held a gala celebration on April 11, 1861. In closing, Sutton gave a quote by Indian poet, Rabindranath Tagore.

 

Tape 7--"River to Railroad", October 7, 1966 (~28 minutes and 30 seconds)
Narration by Herb Hake for Slide Show.

  • 0:00 - John C. Hartman declared Paul Somaneux, a French hunter and trapper, the first white man in Cedar Falls.
  • 0:30 - Sac, Fox, and Winnebago Native Americans mentioned in relation with surveyor Robert Stewart. Until William Sturgis and Erasmus D. Adams came, there was no record of white settlement. A.R. Fulton's book, The Red Man of Iowa, addresses the Native American name for the Cedar Fiver and how it became known as the Cedar River.
  • 1:30 - Lieutenant Zebulon Pike called the River the "Red Cedar River." In 1845, William Sturgis came to the area and it became known as Sturgis Falls.
  • 2:30 - John Overman and Dempsey Overman purchased the claim and water rights from Sturgis and renamed the area Cedar Falls. The Overman brothers moved to the area in February 1848 and dug a race, built a dam, and created a sawmill.
  • 4:00 - In 1850, a mill was built and a vertical blade saw was used.
  • 5:00 - Because John Deere made the first self-scouring moldboard plow out of a steel circular saw, the Overmans probably had a circular saw too.
  • 6:00 - In 1868, steam power was added to the growing mill. The dam was completed in 1938. While the first version was logs and bricks, the completed Overman dam was the best and most substantial in the state at that time.
  • 9:00 - Andrew Mullarky built a store on the corner of Main St. and First. Iver Christoffersen helped with the construction of the building, which later became a music store. Many court documents were stored here.
  • 11:00 - In 1852, Black Hawk County became independent from Buchanan County. Overman Park was given as land to be the courthouse, and Cedar Falls became the first county seat of Black Hawk County. J.M. Overman was the first mayor of Cedar Falls.
  • 14:00 - William Sturgis claimed the north of the region when he settled while Erasmus D. Adams claimed the south. The Overmans bought from both Sturgis and Adams. Erasmus D. Adams fathered the first white child in Cedar Falls.
  • 15:30 - In 1852, Zimri Streeter formed the Republican Party in Cedar Falls and became a state representative.
  • 17:00 - The Civil War halted the construction of the Dubuque and Pacific Line (later called the Dubuque and Sioux City Line, and finally, the Illinois Central Line). Eventually it was built and ended Cedar Falls' isolation. The journey from Dubuque to Cedar Falls became six hours instead of two weeks by ox team.
  • 19:00 - Waterloo became the end track instead of Cedar Falls, allowing Waterloo to grow more.
  • 19:30 - Peter Melendy was a huge advocate for the railroad, active in the community, a founding father of Iowa State College, and was a president of the Iowa State Fair.
  • 20:00 - Melendy helped establish the Civil War Soldiers Orphan Home in Cedar Falls.
  • 21:00 - In 1869, J.B. Powers, S.M. Pierce, and Melendy wanted to make the orphans home into a normal school.
  • 22:00 - The Iowa State Normal School was established on March 15, 1876. The First 75 Years by Irving Hart.
  • 23:30 - Chicago and Great Western Railway tracks in Cedar Falls were completed in 1884.
  • 24:30 - Melendy made plans for a railway to run north and south with Cedar Fallas as a hub for the Midwest.
  • 25:00 - Melendy and the Overmans put more money than they could afford into the railroad and all the money they raised was wasted. Iowa Central depot for the railway no longer exists.
  • 28:00 - Peter Melendy died on October 18, 1901.

Tape 8--Toby and Oliver Olson, June 23, 1968
Cedar Falls as remembered by sons of Danish immigrants.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • SIDE A (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - Interview took place at the home of Oliver Olson. Toby was born in 1878 and Oliver was born in 1883. Toby Olson worked construction for the women's dormitory on campus. Oliver worked on a farm until he was 21 and then started making horse harnesses, shoes, and curtains.
    • 7:00 - Boys on campus had guns and did battle reenactments before the Spanish-American War.
    • 9:30 - A lot of Cedar Falls used to be open field.
    • 10:30 - There was a canning factory near the Illinois Central depot.
    • 11:30 - Paper and flour mills were water powered by the mill race. Cedar Falls began at Washington Street and along the Cedar River.
    • 12:30 - Newcomers got on the good side of the Native Americans.
    • 14:00 - Mullarky's store location is long debated.
    • 15:30 - The Burr Hotel became the Black Hawk Hotel. Henry Johnson had a store on Main Street with groceries and drugs.
    • 16:20 - Danish people made up most of the population and then the English arrived. Bethlehem Church on Main Street held a Danish service once a month.
    • 17:15 - The Dannevirke newspaper and the Holst family are mentioned.
    • 18:30 - Jens Nielsen invented a new pump to pump water out of a stone quarry.
    • 20:00 - Nielsen was not trying to create a big business but ended up forming the Viking Pump compay with George Wyth's help.
    • 21:00 - George Wyth was a businessman who helped Nielsen create the business. Dr. Will Hearst was more than likely an investor too.
    • 22:00 - The stone quarry at the corner of 18th and Main was later covered. Rock for Central Hall came from here.
    • 23:30 - The Field Brothers had a bank and imported stallions and cattled. Their bank failed and they moved to Canada.
    • 27:00 - Peter Melendy was very active in the community and was superintendent of the Cedar Falls schools. William A. Dinwiddie was in charge of soldiers at the college.
    • 29:00 - Greenwood Cemetery.
  • SIDE B (~28 minutes and 30 seconds)
    • 0:00 - The brothers talk about family heirlooms.
    • 3:00 - Horse races were on a horse track where Peet Junior High was, north of 27th Street.
    • 4:30 - Neils Madsen had the only house on Main Street.
    • 5:10 - The first automobile in Cedar Falls was a Red Ford 1909 Model T owned by Toby Olson.
    • 5:45 - The effects of the automobile on Cedar Falls mentioned.
    • 8:20 - There used to be a lot of hitching racks for horses on Main Street.
    • 9:00 - Prohibition.
    • 12:30 - The Olson brothers left Cedar Falls.
    • 14:50 - Roger Leavitt was a banker and wrote about the history of Cedar Falls. All of these histories were given to Waterloo.
    • 15:30 - Waterloo became the county seat before Cedar Falls had the chance to built a courthouse.
    • 17:00 - There were torch light parades in Cedar Falls.
    • 22:00 - The Illinois Central Line chose to put up shops in Waterloo instead of Cedar Falls because Cedar Falls charged too much for its mills. There used to be a streetcar/trolley around the college.
    • 26:00 - Ed Kuehne married the Olson brothers' sister and worked at the Rotary Club.

Tape 9a--Stella Robinson Wynegar
(Recollection of 90 years of residence in Cedar Falls)
Date: 1880's Time: 30 min. March 14, 1970
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • Birth
  • mills: flour, paper, grain
  • Overman family
  • kerosene street lights
  • carbon street lights
  • business district
  • Overman Park
  • schools: Main Street, Central
  • Bess Streeter Aldrich
  • Zimri Streeter
  • Methodist Church
  • Baptist Church
  • Merchants along mainstreet
  • saloons
  • Chinese laundryman
  • Packard Opera House
  • Soldiers Orphans' Home on mainstreet
  • condition of streets
  • wooden sidewalks
  • creek on 5th St. & Main
  • Baptist Church on 5th St. & Main
  • brick paving
  • Farmer's Home Hotel
  • gasoline trolley
  • automobiles
  • run-away horses
  • Transportation
  • barns
  • property size
  • Entertainment
  • movie theater on 2nd & Main
  • horse races on the Cedar River
  • wooden dam
  • circus
  • building the bridge across the river
  • three railroads
  • Peter Melendy
  • Raab Pottery Shop
  • Harris Pump Factory

Tape 9b--Stella R. Wynegar
Time: 20 min.

  • Harris Pump Factory
  • husband's occupations
  • family history
  • family dwellings
  • sidewalks
  • inventor of Viking pump
  • wages for men and women
  • first furnace in Cedar Falls

Tape lOa--Stella Robinson Wynegar
(Recollection of 90 years of residence in Cedar Falls)
Date: 1880's Time: 30 min. August 15, 1970
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • Illinois Central Railroad
  • wooden covered bridge over rail tracks
  • Indians camped in Cedar Falls
  • stockyards-5th & Water St. (State)
  • first post office
  • Cotton Theater
  • Wild Buffalo Bill's show in Melarky's pasture
  • circus
  • Cedar Valley District Fair
  • race track
  • family horse and airplane
  • trotting races at fair
  • Harry Israel and family
  • hydro plane on river
  • Mainstreet bridge
  • boating & swimming on river
  • church picnics held in Round Park in Cedar Heights
  • Rainbow Drive (origin of name)
  • William Taft in Cedar Falls
  • boys leaving for WWI
  • Armistice Day, November 11, 1918
  • Cedar Falls Concert Band
  • Knapp home
  • stone sidewalks
  • tar and gravel sidewalks
  • Ed Wilson
  • Joe Foster (night watchman at bank)
  • fire in Wisebard stable
  • WCF&N car barns' fire
  • mill fire
  • fire department equipment & its use
  • washing machine factory
  • Casey's Blacksmith Shop
  • early druggists

Tape lOb--Stella R. Wynegar
Time: 20 min.

  • liquor in drug store during prohibition
  • Pheiffer charity
  • first gas station
  • irst town marshal
  • Ku Klux Klan
  • Dead Man's Island in Cedar River
  • Owner of The Record
  • early doctors
  • watertower (broke & froze)
  • wooden water pipes (wooden boxes)
  • springs by river
  • early stores
  • state GAR camp
  • Old Central Public School
  • Field brothers & their horses
  • stone barn southwest of town

Tape 11--Joseph B. Clay, October 20, 1970
John Livingston, August 17, 1972
Recollections of a pioneer industrialist and a pioneer aviator.
Interviewer: Doris Ford

Tape 12a--Florence Clay Knox
(Recollection of girlhood in Cedar Falls, Iowa)
c. 1880's. Time: 30 min. per side. June 29, 1973
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • Bess Streeter Aldrich
  • Chinese laundryman
  • Congregational Church
  • Commercial Hotel
  • Pheiffer brothers
  • Pheiffer brewery
  • Pheiffer Drug Company
  • kerosene street lamps
  • carbon arc street lights
  • only Black family
  • water tower (broke & froze)
  • Cedar Valley Fair
  • horse racing
  • automobiles
  • gasoline trolley
  • Woman's Club House
  • lovely old homes
  • Normal School
  • Principal Gilchrist
  • Cotton Theater
  • opera house
  • roller skating rink

Tape 12b--Florence Clay Knox

  • Overman block & other Overman property
  • Peter Melendy
  • first school in Cedar Falls
  • Stone bridge on mainstreet
  • mainstreet
  • public school discipline
  • mud streets
  • rock streets
  • board sidewalks
  • 4th of July "Liberty Car"
  • trolley car
  • city water system
  • garbage system
  • snow removal
  • transportation on the snow
  • sledding on "Cameron's Hill"
  • horse racing on the river ice
  • cutting ice for the ice house
  • trading with the Indians

Tape 13--George A. Bairnson, October 4, 1973
Anecdotes of 50 years of medical practice.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • SIDE A (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - August 1920, [Bairnson?] came to Cedar Falls.
    • 0:45 - Herb Hake was Dr. George Bairnson's patient. Dr. Bairnson started his work in Chicago but left for health reasons. He then became a family doctor.
    • 3:30 - Dr. Bairnson bought out the previous practice and started in Cedar Falls.
    • 4:00 - He was a druggist in Chicago for 13 years. Sartori Hospital didn't have a laboratory. Dr. Bairnson brought the first microscope.
    • 8:00 - There was a problem with clients not paying their medical bills.
    • 10:00 - Dr. Bairnson gained patients by making a lot of charges at businesses on Main Street.
    • 13:30 - Taxes on interest started.
    • 14:00 - During the Great Depression there was a lot of trading items for medical care.
    • 20:00 - Dr. Bairnson struggled to continue his education. Talked about his past in Chicago.
    • 26:30 - The effects of expsoure to x-rays. Coolidge and gas tubes.
  • SIDE B (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - Dr. Bairnson was a roentgenologist and druggist. Most doctors were general practitioners but also acted as surgeons and anesthesiologists. Everyone did everything.
    • 1:15 - Specialists became more widespread.
    • 3:00 - Antiseptics and antibiotics were less common, so infection was much worse.
    • 5:30 - Most doctors took refresher courses every two years to stay up-to-date in the field.
    • 7:00 - The invention of antibiotics was great for medicine because people could be treated much faster.
    • 8:40 - Patients started to be advised to sit up and walk around after surgery instead of laying down to recuperate.
    • 11:45 - At the time, medicine was the most revolutionary practice.
    • 15:30 - Emerency rooms became more widespread so general practitioners were no longer on call 24/7.
    • 16:00 - In retirement, Dr. Bairnson left Cedar Falls and the medical practice.
    • 18:15 - Dr. Bairnson was a member of the Lion's Club and was there when it started. His was one of the best in the state. The third floor of the Regent field building became the Chamber of Commerce. Dr. Bairnson was chairman at one point. Their Chamber of Commerce ended up being one of the best in the state.
    • 21:00 - Arcturus Club was named after the light of the star, Arcturus, during the World's Fair. Herb Hake was a member for 15 years.
    • 25:00 - First differential blood count in the area.
    • 25:30 - Problems between hospital and trustees. $225,000 inventory of the hospital, contribution given.
    • 28:00 - Dr. Bairnson's pride in Cedar Falls and modernity.
    • 29:00 - Herb Hake's gratitude to Bairnson for all that he did for his family and for Cedar Falls.

Tape 14--Erma B. Plaehn, November 11, 1973
Gallery Talk on "Early Government in Black Hawk County."

Tape 15--Earl Eiler, November 24, 1973
Experiences in the butcher 's trade.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 16--Charles J. "Chuck" Hearst, November 30, 1973
History of Maplehearst Farm.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 17--1973 Christmas Party, December 9, 1973, Part II
Recollections of 50-year residents: Iver Christoffersen, Clare Berg, Elmer Rasmussen, Mabel Nasby, Cleo Howard, and Fauntelle Bancroft.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 18--1973 Christmas Party, December 9, 1973, Part II
Recollections of 50-year residents: Mrs. L. E. Schwanke and Mrs. Nick Ilax, Frank and Fern Hitchcook, Edith Dryden, N. E. Brown, Herman Siepert, Robert Riker, Edith Berg, John J. McCoy, Louis Wood, Sally Paine, Ruth Casey, and Helen Isley.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 19--Hans and Aksel Holst, December 29, 1973
History of the Danes in Cedar Falls.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

  • SIDE A (~30 minutes)
    • 0:00 - In 1882, Martin Holst came from Denmark to Des Moines, and then Cedar Falls.
    • 2:30 - Martin came to America after the war in 1864 to avoid being drafted by the Germans.
    • 4:30 - The first Danish Evangelical Lutheran church in Cedar Falls was Nazareth Lutheran, and then Bethlehem.
    • 6:00 - All aroundn the country, conservative and liberal sides of Evangelical Lutheran churches split. In Cedar Falls, Bethlehem became the liberal side and Nazareth was conservative.
    • 9:30 - Dannevirke newspaper was a Danish newspaper in Cedar Falls. Martin Holst was the editor and N.U. Christiansen was his partner.
    • 10:30 - In 1932, Martin Holst died and Hans Holst became editor before August Bang took over Dannevirke.
    • 12:45 - Julegranen was the annual Christmas publication from the company.
    • 13:00 - Holst Printing Company was first Dannevirke Printing Company.
    • 15:00 - Hans was the hand typesetter, Thorvald took over mechanical, and Aksel was in charge of the bookstore.
    • 16:00 - Jens Nielsen, inventor of Viking Pumps, bought Danish books from them.
    • 17:00 - Jens Nielsen kept a record of all the Danish people living in Cedar Falls.
    • 18:30 - George Wyth was influential in manufacturing, advertising, and handling money for Viking Pumps.
    • 19:45 - Most Danes in Cedar Falls settled east of Main Street.
    • 21:00 - Most stores had a Danish-speaking employee because about one-third of the Cedar Falls population was Danish.
    • 22:20 - The Danish Brotherhood was an insurance society for Danish Americans.
    • 23:30 - A rule came out stating that all church services could be held in a foreign language.
    • 28:00 - In the Holst Brothers Quartet, Askel sang tenor, Hans sang second tenor, Harold sang baritone, and Thorvald sang bass.

Tape 20--Mrs. Charles Chickering, February 8, 1974
Recollections by a granddaughter of George V. Clark.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 21--Bert Schou, July 30, 1974
Experiences of a locomotive engineer.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 22--Inez Radell, August 6, 1974
Recollections by the daughter of a pioneer merchant.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 23--Oren F. Paine, November 9, 1974
Experiences in the building trade.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 24--Edith Dryden, December 2, 1974
Experiences of a milliner.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 25--1974 Christmas Party, December 8, 1974
Recollections of Danish traditions by Margaret Michaelsen, Lillian Nielsen, Iver Christoffersen, Mrs. Hieber (mother of Douglas Hieber), Theresa Petersen, Dagne Petersen, Harder Aksel Holst, and Olivia Johnson.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 26--Clara Nolte, January 4, 1975
Recollections of a German teacher and early advocate of Woman's Rights.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 27--Malcolm Price, Marh 17, 1975
History of the College during World War II.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 28--Robert H. Corning, February 8, 1976
Recollections of boyhood and manhood in hardware business.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 29--Robert H. Corning, February 8, 1976
Conclusion of interview.

Tape 30--Gerald S. Wise, June 18, 1976
Memories of boyhood in Cedar Falls and Sears, Roebuck career.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 31--Les Santee, September 2, 1976
Recollections of real estate salesman and state legislator.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 32--Gladys Hearst and Sally Pinkham, November 16, 1976
Recollections of WAVES officers stationed on ISTC campus during World War II.
Interviewer: Cornelia Davis

Tape 33--Iver Christoffersen, November 23, 1976
Memories of long-time local attorney and civic leader.
Interviewer: Herb Hake

Tape 34--Herb Hake, July 15, 1977
Personal recollections.
Interviewer: Alice Myers (2 copies)

 Box 2

Tape 35--Olivia Johnson, Part I, September 7, 1977
Identification and description of Museum exhibits.

Tape 36--Olivia Johnson, Part II, September 9, 1977
Identification and description of Museum exhibits continued.

Tape 37--Olivia Johnson, Part III, September 10, 1977
Identification and description of Museum exhibits concluded.

Tape 38--William D. Lynch, March 6, 1978
Recollections by a "Professor's Kid" of boyhood in Cedar Falls.
Announcer: Herb Hake

Tape 39--Ferner Nuhn, I and II, September 19, 1978 (2 copies)
Random Recollections by a Cedar Falls author about his parents and their connections with the German Evangelical Church, father's association with the railroad and the building and loan business, Ferner's meeting and marrying Ruth Suckow, the Cedar Falls Art Association, famous visitors in the Nuhn homes, and father's success in bringing the Bible Conference to Cedar Falls.
Interviewer: Gladys Hearst

Tape 40--Ferner Nuhn, III (conclusion), September 19, 1978 (2 copies)

Tape 41--Interview with William D. Lynch

Tape 42--Interview with Nannett E. Waldman

Tape 43--Luther Burkett Program on Martin White and Iowa Pottery, March 25, 1979.

Tape 44--Interview with Welker Schaller, March 26, 1979.

Tape 45--Ice Cutting nd., Roger Miller, Waterloo
Interviewer: Nancy Redfern

Tape 46--Carl Howes, September 23, 1979
Interviewer: Maxine Schwank

Tape 47--Cedar City Open House, April 13, 1980
Interviewer: Elsie Randall Tietz

Tape 48--John Harns on Raab Vases, September 4, 1980
Interviewer: Nancy Redfern

Tape 49--Historical Society Banquet, May 9, 1980
Speaker: James L. Hearst

One-room School Experiences of UNI Staff and Faculty Members, interviewed by William Dreier

Tape 1: Jean and Gordon Porter, interviewed March 4, 1993

Side A: Jean - on staff from 1969-82 in Housing and Food Services
Side B: Gordon - on staff from 1968-82 in Physical Plant-Golf Course

Tape 2: Gordon Porter, Part II

Tape 3: Melvin Schneider, interviewed December 22, 1994

Side A: Melvin - on staff from 1945-58
Side B: Empty

Tape 4: Basil Reppas, interviewed January 25, 1995

Side A: Basil - on staff from 1961-present in Educational Psychology and Foundations
Side B: probably empty

Tape 5: Mildred Wood, interviewed May 16, 1994

Side A: Mildred -B.A. 1956, M.A. 1962, on faculty 1962-65
Side B: probably empty

Tape 6: William Dreier, recorded May 18, 1993

Side A: William - on faculty 1949-1985 Recording his memories of the one-room school in Hardin County, Iowa.
Side B: probably empty

Processing Information

Web version of this finding aid was created by Library Assistant Susan A. Basye, Library Assistant, July 1998; updated, April 11, 2013 (GP). Updated by Library Associate Dave Hoing, February 2018 and Archival Processor Tessa Wakefield, April 2021. Additional tape indexing provided by intern Violet Eggert, April 2021.